Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering caged Hydrangeas?

Posted by melaroma 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 14, 09 at 10:06

I caged my three hydrangeas which are placed under an over hang where they do not receive direct rain or snow. My question is do I need to water the hydrangeas during the rest of fall and during winter? If so how is the best way to do that? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering caged Hydrangeas?

Allowing the soil to dry excessively around them is not a good idea. Even though dormant, the roots still need to be able to access moisture. Properly hydrated plants tend to be more resistant to cold damage than those that are dessicated or dried out. Check periodically to see and if overly dry, allow a hose trickle to just soak slowly down into the soil surface or use a watering can to soak the soil area only.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 14, 09 at 15:46

Gardengal gave great advice above - I was going to advise the same thing. It's fine to water until the ground freezes.

o

How do I water them though? I have very well drained soil so the water does not pool around an area but goes down directly and I'm not sure if I should water from above and risk getting the leaves wet or does that not matter?

o

Water just the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here