Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jas4141

How to Winter Rooting Hydrangeas??

jas4141
12 years ago

I have several hydrangeas that I've started to root in pots about a month ago. I have the pots covered with clear plastic bags and they are doing just fine. My question is if I bury the pots in the ground along side the house for the winter, should I remove the plastic or leave it on? Would it be better to remove from pots and plant directly in the ground? I assume, too, that either way, mulching with leaves would be a good thing.

We'll be gone for the winter so don't want to leave them inside or in the garage unattended for three months because I'm afraid they would dry out. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Comment (1)

• ditas
    12 years ago

Hi jas4141 ~ I have done 2 or 3 ways of rooting & potted them for a year or 2 as well.

I'd remove the plastic cover & replace w/ burlap wrap or mulch ~ leaves or woodchips ~ sinking in a hole, pot & all is great, easier to plant in permanent home by Spring! The important thing is have a friend or neighbor water a few times while you're gone, pending on how much rain or snow can provide.

Most Hs are root-hardy in our similar zone ~ blooming is another story. A broken Kyushu stem, as thick as my middle finger, I've rooted stayed in the pot for 2 seasons before sinking in the ground ~ grew in leaps & blossomed. Now I intend to relocate in Spring to a better site w/ more room to grow, the 7x7ft size she'll grow to be.

Good luck & have fun where you Winter!