Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Fall coloration of oakleaf Pee Wee

mxk3 z5b_MI
14 years ago

Have two Pee Wee oakleafs that get a fair amount of sun (at least 5-6 hours daily) and I noticed that the fall color is a deep, almost chocolately-burgundy - not the stunning rich red of my other oakleafs (Snow Queen). Is this just something particular to Pee Wee? Or will the fall color get better as the shrubs mature (one is in its second season, the other is in its first season in my landscape).

Comments (8)

• ditas
    14 years ago

Good morning mxk3 - Here are photos of my 3 OL Hs taken just a few days ago ... my observations as well ... so timely for your ??? but have no other photo reference to compare with, from previous year. Alice was a bit darker last season (per printed photo).

FWIW

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall colors of Oakleaf H

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, my Pee Wee looks like your Pee Wee, but even a bit darker than that.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Except for the newly planted this season did your others bloom this year?

TIA!

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

I observed the same type of fall color on Pee Wee as well.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, the older bush bloomed but not prolifically. I just got her last season and transplanted to a different location in the summer, so definitely not established yet.

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

Pee Wee foliage seems to be a bit darker green than most in summer to me. I do believe it is typically darker in fall colors too, at least around here.

• ditas
    14 years ago

I know that gaalan didn't have to winter protect Oakleaf H ... how about any of you in the lower zones, did you have to treat them, as you would other H Divas?

I protected SQ w/ a small cage filled w/ leaf mulch, simply because she was a mere 1gal pot baby, at planting last season. Alice & PW were fairly good size (#3 pots) & adjusted well after planting ... I just covered them heavily w/ leaf mulch.

The past Winter was one of those fluctuatingly, harsh one followed by a horrid Spring ... 'could be the reason for 0 blossoms huh? I intend to cover them up better this Winter & hoping for a friendlier one, this time around here, as well as, where you all are! Â;)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ditas - I don't protect my mature oakleafs. They are planted in an area where they are protected from winds from the north but do catch some wind from the west. They do bloom for me, though perhaps not as much as they would were they protected. But I hate how wrapped up plants look in winter, I'm kind of lazy, and they're too big at this point in time anyway. I will protect the PeeWees though, because, as I mentioned in another post, they are planted right next to the driveway and I'm afraid those brittle branches will snap off if they get hit with the snow blower output. They are short bushes though, much less of an eyesore putting protection over those than the big ol' now Queens. :0)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting