Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangeas and lots of shade

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 13:51

I am contemplating a larger plant or shrub for the very back corner which due to the large tree in behind and the proximity of the cedar hedge on the side gets very litte (no?) direct sun. Are there any hydrangeas that will flower well in such an aspect?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangeas and lots of shade

Hydrangeas can grow and bloom well even if they do not get direct sunlight. They will bloom best if they get several hours of sun though. However, if there is bright indirect light, H. macrophylla produces nice blooms. I have a few mac's and arborescens on a north facing wall where they get no sun and others where they get some sun in the summer. Both bloom well.

The area in your picture seems bright enough, so I would try some. Glyn Church recommends these mac's for shade: Immaculata, Marechal Foch, Mme. Travouillon, Parzifal, Quadricolor and Sister Therese.

o

It isn't as bright as you might think luis_pr.

What about Hydrangea quercifolia ('Snowflake'/'Snow Queen')? I understand quercifolia are able to do well ie flower in (lots of) shade.

o

Oakleaf hydrangea did not perform well (bloomage wise) for me when the shrub was planted near the drip line of a large tree. I re-read Glyn Church again and found this quote referring to oakleaf hydrangeas: best grown in a sunny site as too much shade will supress the bush and reduce the number of flowers but, a morsel of shade will be fine in hot climates.

Direct sun is not necessary but if you really think this location is very shady then consider (1) planting one shrub to experiment, (2) raise the canopy of the tree or lower the hedge to see if that helps or (2) try other plants. If you choose mopheads, make sure they will be fine in your zone or get reblooming ones.

o

Good suggestions 'luis'...thank you. Quantifying shade is so difficult isnt it? And I do think that I will need to experiment re those plants that are not true heavy shade plants. One never knows until one tries.

(I need a strike of lightning or two to thin out that tree at the back ;))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here