Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeyna

How do I dead head Pinky Winky?

madeyna
14 years ago

This is my first year with Paniculatas but I can clearly see where to dead head all but the PW. I bought it as a four foot tall plant this fall and it has blooms on every stem . Most of them are over a foot long. The problem is

they have leaves mixed in with the flowers. Should I ignore the leaves and deadhead down to the last flower coming from the stem? What will happen if I don,t dead head at all? I want to take some of the weight off the stems by deadheading this year but don,t really want to cut the plant back so far. By deadheading to the last flower I would be cutting back the entire plant a foot to a foot and a half. What is the growth rate of this plant ? If I cut it back that far can I expect it to regain that length on the stems and then some next season? I would really like this plant to gain some height as fast as possible so I can see it from the deck. This year it just barely comes to the top of the rail so I have to lean over the rail to see it. Thanks for any help you can give me .

Comments (4)