Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of hydrangea is this?

Posted by musik_mama 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 15:42

I also posted this on the shrubs board. Two replies believed it to be "Ayesha" hydrangea....I would just like to know what kind for sure! From an older picture of our home before it was cut down (not us! house flipper we purchased from did so...) it appearedto be very large, within a foot or two of the roofline to our front porch. Its growing back from a stump, about 10 or so stems. About 4 of those had white blooms on the very end. I'm leaning towards old grandiflora cultivar...Any help? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of hydrangea is this?

Here is the old picture I have. The shrub is the tallest one on the right side of our porch.

o

Looks more like a paniculata than a macrophylla based on leaf shape and size and then the general appearance and size of the shrub itself. Not sure which hydrangea it is but I don't think it is 'Ayesha'.

o

I too suspect that it is not Ayesha. Ayesha's blooms tend to be either blue or pink-ish. It is a little fragrant (but some people cannot smell it though). It gets to be about 5' high.

o

It is Hydrangea paniculata. Based on the red stems and the flower structure it may be Quick Fire. If it flowers 6 weeks earlier than other paniculatas and it turns pink while the others are white, that will confirm it's Quick Fire.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here