Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea Oakleaf Dayspring

Posted by luis_pr z7/8 Hurst TX (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 16:13

I found this one for sale locally. The claim to fame seems to be "Improved form with larger flowers and deep green foliage changing to red bronze in fall."

Does anyone have it and can you post pictures of the red-bronzed leaves? Fall is just starting here and most hydrangeas are still green. The plants that I saw at the nursery had not changed colors yet.

TIA, Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Oakleaf Dayspring

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea Oakleaf Dayspring

One of the best features about any oakleaf hydrangea is the fall color. I can't think of a single cultivar that doesn't develop great fall (and into winter) coloring, typically in the bronzey-purple, burgundy tones. They are often late to color up but oakleafs also tend to hold on to their foliage very late......sometimes all through winter, not falling off until new growth starts pushing in spring.

I don't always consider large flowers a big plus, so not sure I would seek it out just for that reason :-) I just got a new oakleaf this fall - 'Ruby Slippers', which develops an intense, deep pink flower color as it ages, as well as now showing great fall leaf color (sorry, no photos). This is a dwarf variety however - no room for a full size oakleaf!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here