Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Will my hydrangea survive?

Posted by milkyj 6B (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 16:42

I am in North Jersey, zone6b. After the snow storm a few days after Sandy, my healthy looking hydrangea looks terrible. Please see the pictures. I sprayed Wilt-Pruf generously on the plant before the snow storm came. Don't know if wilt-pruf worked or not since what should I expect if I didn't spray any? I'd like to hear what you experts say about this poor plant. Can it survive and still have a chance to put on some flowers next year? Is there anything I should do at this point? Please help. Thank you very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Will my hydrangea survive?

Here comes a close up if that helps.

o

It looks normal for a plant that used to be green and then was subjected to cold temperatures. Sad looking but it should be fine.

The leaves will not recover but the cold weather will make the plant really go dormant now. Not sure about the flower buds. Those probably developed in the Fall and depending on how cold it got, they may still be there alive. If it got too cold then they may have suffered but you will not know for sure until the plant leafs out again in Spring 2013. If this a rebloomer, then I would not worry much: if the early Spring blooms are affected, you still will have blooms later on.

The stems are woody so they can handle a lot of cold so I would think that for this one event, the stems will be fine. But as winter progresses in your zone, they may or may not be affected. Should they die, the roots will send new shoots in the Spring.

And talking about the roots, I would add 3-4" of organic mulch to protect them and conserve moisture.

Good luck, milkyj!
Luis

o

Luis thank you so much! You know I had high hope for this plant. Dare it die on me! :-) I will take your advice and add extra mulch, tonight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here