Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Endless Summer hit by freeze

Posted by pattyokie 6b Tulsa, OK (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 18:03

I have two Endless Summer Hydrangeas that were hit by our recent freeze & now have ugly, freeze-burned leaves hanging down. I want to get that off but I am afraid to prune them back for fear of losing next springs blooms. Is there a formula?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Endless Summer hit by freeze

Cut the leaves off or wait for them to drop on their own.

o

If you are panicky about that, consider cutting the leaf itself about an inch or two from where the leaf connects to the stem. Less if you want. The part left will, in time, disintegrate on its own by Spring. It is a similar approach to the one used when deadheading blooms this time of the year.

We recently had a cold spell too that, I originally thought was going to turn the leaves to mush but, eh, I saw no damage to any hydrangea leaves. Now temps are heading north to the 80s and low in the 70s... Sigh.... No wonder hydrangeas stay "awake" so late over here. Going dormant over here must be like trying to sleep with someone snoring nearby. :o)

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning and deadheading info

o

Thank you so much. I have an mophead that has never been bothered by the cold, so this was new to me. Love hydrangeas.

o

To clarify: I just strip off the frozen leaves & don't trim back any of the branches?

o

That or you could even leave the leaves on the plant. That is what I usually do since the leaves and blooms "disintegrate" during the winter months. However, I do not recommend leaving the leaves on the shrub thru winter if the plant's leaves have a lot of fungal issues; in that case, you should dispose of the leaves early and throw them in the trash (not in a compost pile)

o

pattyokie,

"I have an mophead that has never been bothered by the cold, so this was new to me."

You know, that's how ES was discovered. You might have another million dollar plant in your yard. And I'm not kidding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here