Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanilla strawb and Endless summer

Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 19:23

Some pictures from earlier in the fall.

Vanilla strawberry bloomed for a really long time and I loved the cream turning slowly to dusty pink.

Also loved the drama of the aging endless summer blooms as they go bicolor maroon and lime.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanilla strawb and Endless summer

Beautiful Lois. You got some great color out of yours this year.
Cher

o

Vanilla Fraise -

July -
P1060609

October -
P1060703

Ireena

o

Luv the pictures here. I about to order the Vanilla Strawberry and Paul Thirion from Jungs Seeds. These pictures convinced me to go ahead and order.

o

Gorgeous! Absolutely spectacular. I have been absent for the past few years and have missed the forum and my friends. But I am now back! Are you pleased with Vanilla Strawberry and Endless Summer all around?

suebot in CT

o

My vanilla strawberry almost died this past summer, not sure if it will make it through the winter yet :( It was looking great and than all the sudden one yellow leaf than all yellow leafs. Dug it up and cut it back pretty good. Think my soil was the problem when we went into drought here this summer. To much clay I think. Other plants in the same location did the same thing.

o

I hope it comes back; stressed out plants and 1-yr old plants have been leafing out as late as May so if there is no leafout by then, you can dispose of it. Alternatively, 2-3 weeks after your date of last frost, you can prune the stems from the top downwards in 1" or 2" increments until you see green. That does not tell you the condition of the roots but it lets you know if there will be leaf out from the stems. Keep the soil moist, not wet. Keep it well mulched too with 3-4" of the stuff and take it easy on the fertilizers.

Luis

PS - how much are they asking for VS's nowadays?

o

thanks for the tips Luis :) I got mine in a 3 gallon for $25 i think. pretty good price i thought it has a real nice thick base. when i did cut it back it did still have green, but the root system was not looking so good.

o

Try adding some bone meal or some source of phosphorus. It is good for roots. I also add mycorrhizal fungi to sick looking plants (available on organic minded plant nurseries).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here