Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How fast will cuttings grow?

Posted by lilyfinch 6-7 pittsburgh pa (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 21:35

I was considering taking cuttings from my dwarf peegee to make a hedge, (in the spring of course). I wonder how large i can expect the cuttings to get by august or so? I will keep them in pots till they are strong enough (i have a bulldog who would trample them otherwise). If anyone has any advice for my hedge project let me know! I plan on alternating peegees and roses. thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How fast will cuttings grow?

Since no one is answering I,ll take a stab at it. I noticed a web sight that sells that years cuttings is advertising them to be at least four inchs height. I bought a hydrangea(Glowing Embers) that was a this season cutting and its now about 10/12 inchs high. But I think alot depends on the growth habit of the plant. I purchased another hydrangea plant(Forever&Ever) as a cutting this year and its only grown a few inchs this whole season.

o

• Posted by owbist 6A-Niagara, Ont (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 12, 09 at 22:05

The greenhouse I drove for a few years back grew thousands. By the fall they had reached perhaps 6 to 7 inches. The variation came in the branching rather than height. In the fall they were de-leafed and sorted from one bloom to five blooms and over and stored in coolers at 39 degrees Fahrenheit. Once they were returned to the warmth of the greenhouse after Christmas they grew fantastic. The five bloom and above reached at least 2 feet high by the shipping time.

Today while walking I saw 2 Nikko Blue Hydrangeas in gallon pots out for the garbage man, I took those home in a hurry. They'll look just dandy next spring I hope.

o

Thank you both for your help, i think they will grow a little too slow for what i need them for. Im sure i can find them pretty cheap for my needs! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here