Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Endless Summer - winterizing

Posted by billpilot88 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 22:53

I have a bunch of Endless summer Hydrangeas and all the leaves are now dead and ready to fall off (Oklahoma zone). Do I cut back the Hydranges to the ground or just leave them alone? I think you're not suppose to cut them back, but during the spring I noticed a bunch of dead stems along with the live ones. What to do? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Endless Summer - winterizing

You've got a couple of choices. You can do nothing to them now and wait until spring or when new growth begins to emerge and then cut back any obviously dead wood. Since ES blooms on both old and new growth, you can remove pretty much whatever you want from the plant and still expect some blooms. Personally, I'd prefer to maintain the plant at a larger size and with an opportunity for more flowers, so I would keep any pruning/removal to the bare minimum.

The second choice is to provide normal winter protection as you would do for any other macrophylla. This will ensure both old and new growth is protected, there will be less dead wood (= a larger plant) and greater potential for flowering. A search of this forum will provide all manner of tips on how to provide this protection.

I would refrain from doing any heavy pruning now. Wait until spring and then cut back only what is necessary.

o

I just leave them over the winter and then in the spring after the leaves start popping I cut off the obviously dead wood above the leaves. For me, the whole point of getting ES rather than something like Nikko was that I don't need to winterize them.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 28, 09 at 18:00

Ditto Sue36 above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here