Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Elf French Hydrangea

Posted by char35 zone 9 Houston (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 7, 09 at 23:23

I found two small hydrangea plants called Pink Elf Fr. Hydrangea. Can anyone tell me anything about them? Or, where I can find info. I would like to put them in a large pot for a while. I'm reworking the beds and thought I could leave them a pot with good soil for the winter until I find the right place for them. Is this a good or bad idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Elf French Hydrangea

Pink Elf is just a trade name for Hydrangea macrophylla 'Pia'. You can search under either of those names for more info. This is a dwarf form, rarely exceeding 3'x3', and is an excellent choice for containers. In zone 9, holding in a container overwinter will be fine. Make sure they have afternoon shade and even moisture. 'Pia' is one of the few pink flowered mopheads that retains its very pink coloring regardless of soil conditions.

o

Sorry, must disagree with the marketing hyperbole about 'Pia' ('Pink Elf').
In my very acidic soil, they produce deep purple blooms each year. Attractive, to me, but certainly not pink, as advertised. They are of a short stature, maturing to about 3-4 ft. tall.
Grown in a good potting mix, they will most likely produce pink flowers.

o

• Posted by char35 zone9 Houston (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 8, 09 at 19:45

Well. I potted one today! Need to get another pot tomorrow.
I'm wondering if the 2 hydrangeas that I planted some years ago, failed after a few years because of competition from oak tree and pine roots. The lighting seemed right and the first few years they were beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here