Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunti_gw

Hydrangea from geenhouse

bunti
11 years ago

I have got very nice hydrangea from a greenhouse. I guess its hydrangea macrophylla. After the flowers are done, I have planted it outdoor. does it bloom like regular hydrangea?

the greenhouse people where i have got the flowers told me that it will survive. I have seen few other places. they have told me they don't survive. Eventhougt they survive, they may not bloom, because they are forced to bloom.

Are they going to behave like regular hydrangea or not? Are they going to bloom again?

I have seen few mums also in the greenhouse. I want to plant them outside. Again do they survive outside?

Comments (4)

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

The only way to know for sure is to try. Many of those hydrangeas have an excellent chance to survive and produce blooms regularly in warm locales but will have difficulty on Zone 7, 6, 5, etc. It is good to know that the greenhouse already said that yours "should survive" Zone 8 but I wish they would have said if it will also regularly bloom. Of course, Zone 8 is probably warm enough for just about all H. Macrophyllas that I would give them a try. I just got a nice blooming lacecap (similar to Shooting Star from Krogers) and while the label has no zone requirements, I will give it a shot (but I have to slowly prepare it for the outside temps)... may even wait until the end of winter if things get too cold of the sudden. But with only two-three days below freezing so far, it feels like a mild winter. Let's see what Jan-Feb bring. Good luck with yours!

As for mums, they do. I have bought mums (including some spider mums) from plant nurseries and they are now finishing their bloomage. Again though, you may want to slowly get them adjusted to the outside weather or wait until Spring to plant them.

Luis

• bunti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks luis,

I have got the plants in summer. after blooms(during fall), i have planed them outside. they are survived. Plants are in good condition, wondering are they going to bloom.

I have seen few hydrangeas in green house now. I want to buy them. before buying i want to make sure. I don't want to have hydrangeas around my house with no blooms.

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

The ones planted outside should go dormant soon and awaken some time in March-April (depends on your location and zone). Potted ones may try to go dormant after a while too (the short days in winter cause this) albeit this will occur at unnatural times since the greenhouse forced them to bloom at this time. Outside planted ones normally bloom from April-May thru Nov-Dec here. If a potted one decides to go dormant, let it do so in a protected place like a garage or shed; mulch it; water it well once every 1-2 weeks. It can be brought outside two weeks or so after your avge date of last frost in Spring. Eventually, you should plant potted hydrangeas outside as they do not do well in the home on a long term basis.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Bunti, if you have rec'd a florist type hydrangea, forced to bloom to coincide with various holidays, it can be worth giving them a try in your garden after you've enjoyed them in the house. But keep in mind they have not been grown with long term plant health as the goal and have been subjected to a regimen of fertilizers, lighting, carefully controlled temperatures, growth accelerators to produce large blooms out of season on young plants.

Sometimes they do beautifully in the garden after being acclimated to the real outdoors. You may not know until they've been in the ground for a year or two and have had a chance to recover from their earlier treatment.

If you are shopping for your garden, you would do better to buy regular garden - not florists - stock.