Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mom Butchered Her Hydrangeas!

Posted by echinaceamaniac 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 15, 09 at 9:55

I bought my mom a nice "Limelight" hydrangea two years ago and an "Incrediball" this year. She has pruned them to half their size. They were looking so good and now they are so pitiful.

How long will it take these to recover? I know the "Limelight" will probably still bloom, but what about "Incrediball"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mom Butchered Her Hydrangeas!

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 15, 09 at 11:19

Both hydrangea paniculata Limelight and hydrangea arborescens Incrediball bloom on current seasons growth making it possible to prune severely and still have flowers produced same year.

Having said that, younger plants - while not harmed - normally may not need that much pruning, and I wait until late winter/early spring in my zone and prune to a pair of strong buds after those buds begin to swell.

o
RE: Mom Butchered Her Hydrangeas!

LOL!! Do we detect a note of panic? :-)

Not to worry...what appears to be a 'butchering' now will be long forgotten next season. As morz8 notes, both of these hydrangeas will tolerate hard pruning and cutting back by 1/3 to 1/2 often results in stockier plants with stronger stems. And will NOT affect flowering.

About the only 'wrong' time to prune these is after they have set flower buds in mid/late spring, but I'd save the bulk of my pruning for late winter/early spring also.

Does your mom tend to be heavy handed with pruners? Some folks have a need to conquer or tame all trees and shrubs in their care by heavy or too frequent pruning. In most cases, it is not necessary and can sometimes (but not in this case) be detrimental to the plant's health. You might suggest to her to go easy in the future :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here