Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
berlin ~ paris ~ or ~ vienna?

Posted by phyl345 chicagoland z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 14, 09 at 13:38

next spring i would like to buy one of the above in the cityline series ~ but don't know which one ~

i know they are fairly new; but i'm sure a lot of you have purchased them in the last few years ~~ so ~~ what say you?

probably would prefer the *smallest* and/or the *brightest* coloring ~

thanks so much for any comments, phyl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: berlin ~ paris ~ or ~ vienna?

Paris is the brightest. 2.5-3'.
Vienna is the smallest. 1-2'.

o

@ego45

do you grow them? If so, how do they do? Do you provide winter protection?

o

I have Cityline Paris & Venice.
In my Zone 7, I am providing winter protection for Paris this year. Last winter, with lows of only 10F, it was killed to the ground and produced no blooms this year.
It joined a host of macrophylla & serrata cultivars that suffered the same fate, for the first time in my 25 years growing Hydrangeas! Other adjacent or nearby cultivars, potted or in-ground, were apparently unaffected. Cityline Venice was among those.

I'm apparently outside the preferred distribution area for the Proven Winners line of Hydrangeas. HD and a local nursery chain are authorized retailers for PW, but neither regularly stock the Hydrangeas. No Cityline series plants were found this year and only one PW Hydrangea, Let's Dance Starlight (Lacecap) was stocked at the local chain. It was on sale at 40% off, during the prime sales season. Apparently a slow mover! One of them followed me home!

o

yikes! if they need winter protection in georgia obviously i had better pass on these! ~ i appreciate the information & it sure sounds like they are not something for our cold winters (chicago) ~ thanks, phyl

o

They are marginaly bud-hardy in 6b, so I grow them in containers.
Definitely not for IL :-(

o

Thanks ego45, I shall cross them off my list.

Anyone grow Lady in Red?

o

Daylilyluver__
I have grown LIR for 3 years and to me, it has been a great disappointment.
The promised burgundy-red foliage does not materialize to a great degree for me, even though my two receive morning sun, until noon.
The Lacecap flowers, whether pink or blue, are rather ho-hum.
In my opinion, there are many available macrophylla cultivars with more attributes.
For burgundy-red fall foliage, an Oakleaf Hydrangea sited to receive several hours of daily sunlight, is a traffic stopper! Even when grown in a mostly shady location, the foliage color is impressive, but they do not flower as well.

o

Thanks for the input Ladywindsurfer. I shall checkout
an Oakleaf.

So many of the are listed as hardy through zone 6 but many are hardy but seem to not be bud hardy...what a disappointment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here