Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyl345

berlin ~ paris ~ or ~ vienna?

phyl345
14 years ago

next spring i would like to buy one of the above in the cityline series ~ but don't know which one ~

i know they are fairly new; but i'm sure a lot of you have purchased them in the last few years ~~ so ~~ what say you?

probably would prefer the *smallest* and/or the *brightest* coloring ~

thanks so much for any comments, phyl

Comments (8)

• ego45
    14 years ago

Paris is the brightest. 2.5-3'.
    Vienna is the smallest. 1-2'.

• daylilyluver
    14 years ago

@ego45

do you grow them? If so, how do they do? Do you provide winter protection?

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

I have Cityline Paris & Venice.
    In my Zone 7, I am providing winter protection for Paris this year. Last winter, with lows of only 10°F, it was killed to the ground and produced no blooms this year.
    It joined a host of macrophylla & serrata cultivars that suffered the same fate, for the first time in my 25± years growing Hydrangeas! Other adjacent or nearby cultivars, potted or in-ground, were apparently unaffected. Cityline Venice was among those.

I'm apparently outside the preferred distribution area for the Proven Winners line of Hydrangeas. HD and a local nursery chain are authorized retailers for PW, but neither regularly stock the Hydrangeas. No Cityline series plants were found this year and only one PW Hydrangea, Let's Dance® Starlight (Lacecap) was stocked at the local chain. It was on sale at 40% off, during the prime sales season. Apparently a slow mover! One of them followed me home!

• phyl345
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yikes! if they need winter protection in georgia obviously i had better pass on these! ~ i appreciate the information & it sure sounds like they are not something for our cold winters (chicago) ~ thanks, phyl

• ego45
    14 years ago

They are marginaly bud-hardy in 6b, so I grow them in containers.
    Definitely not for IL :-(

• daylilyluver
    14 years ago

Thanks ego45, I shall cross them off my list.

Anyone grow Lady in Red?

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

Daylilyluver__
    I have grown LIR for 3 years and to me, it has been a great disappointment.
    The promised burgundy-red foliage does not materialize to a great degree for me, even though my two receive morning sun, until noon.
    The Lacecap flowers, whether pink or blue, are rather ho-hum.
    In my opinion, there are many available macrophylla cultivars with more attributes.
    For burgundy-red fall foliage, an Oakleaf Hydrangea sited to receive several hours of daily sunlight, is a traffic stopper! Even when grown in a mostly shady location, the foliage color is impressive, but they do not flower as well.

• daylilyluver
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input Ladywindsurfer. I shall checkout
    an Oakleaf.

So many of the are listed as hardy through zone 6 but many are hardy but seem to not be bud hardy...what a disappointment.