Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Annabelle, plant how far apart?

kimcoco
13 years ago

What is the spacing for your Annabelle hydrangea? I read that planting them closer together aids in structural support, but I'm also using plant stakes/cages which help tremendously.

I'll be moving mine from a shady location, OR purchasing additional plants ... to add to a morning/early afternoon sun area. I read they will grow larger in more sun. The others I have are growing nicely, but slow, and get minimal sun on the north face of my home - early morning and late afternoon "dappled" sun only, but they do well being pretty much neglected.

I also read at one point to NOT fertilize them since it will make the blooms too large and they will flop, however, I'm rethinking this - I want large blooms and I'll add necessary support.

I'm planning on transplanting them with a mixture of my native soil (clayish), composted manure and possibly peat moss. I did that with a sickly container rhododendron this year, left for vacation, and returned to find the new transplant had absolutely stunning blooms.