Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese hydrangeas?

Posted by rob_peace VIC Aust (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 23:29

Last year I bought some hydrangeas discounted at the end of the season. The names on the printed labels seem to be Japanese but perhaps with errors? They are 'Hana Temani-double light pink', 'Komachi-lacecap pink' and 'May Kulyaku-double pink'. All three are double macrophyllas. A Japanese trading site lists 'Temari-Matsuri' a blue double similar in appearace except colour to my 'Hana Temani'. The site also lists 'Temari Temari', Komachi' and 'Maiku Jaku' but offers no information. The site is global.rakuten.com. I'd really love to know some more information about my mystery hydrangeas. Can anyone help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese hydrangeas?

It may be that the soil used by the wholesaler was acidic, which resulted in blue blooms and the plant was then labeled/described as " a blue XYZ'.

A Hana Temani would have been listed/called/described as Hana Temani double light blue in that scenario, for example. But when the soil that the wolesaler uses is neutral or lacks aluminum, the blooms turn pink instead so the wholesaler would list/call/describe the same plant as Hana Temani double light pink.

o

Try www.heritagehydrangeas.com, they have a great online encyclopedia of hydrangeas with good info on the origin of all the best ones. You can check the names against their list of plant names to see all synonyms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage Hydrangeas

o

Here are some pages which include beautiful photos of the same varieties I found. Mine are 1 and 3 in the first (blue) group and 11 in the second (pink) group. If you click on the image, a page for each variety opens. The variety name appears in roman script in the address bar of the browser. I still dont now how these plants came to be in my local garden centre, but I'm very pleased to have them! There are some stunning other hydrangeas on these pages, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas in Japan

o

I forgot to mention, if you copy and paste the address into google as a search, you are offered 'google tanslation' versions of the site. It seems that Kamo Iris Gardens, Japan, has a hydrangea breeding programme and my local discoveries were raised there. It even explains that Temari-Temari was originally named Hana Temari, which was the label (mispelled Hana Temani) on one of my plants. The plant was re-named after its initial release. I think Hana Temari is possibly a registered name for a manga character!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here