Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

connecting two thin tubes

greentoe357
9 years ago

I need advice from you guys on a tubing project that's been on my mind.

I grow house plants in pots in trays on a multi-level plant stand indoors. I am getting tired of needing to take the heavy trays off in order to water and dump the effluent into the sink every time, so I thought I'd run a short length of thin vinyl tubing into the bottom of each tray, with the other end just barely out. I'd water in place, then to drain the effluent, I'd connect another, longer length of vinyl tubing to the exposed end, so that it reaches all the way to the floor and into an empty bucket. Then I'd suck on the end and point the tube into the bucket. The flow will stop once all the effluent is drained. Boom! Like a boss!

So, I bought some tubing at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-1-4-in-x-170-in-x-20-ft-PVC-Tubing-SVEB20/202257569. I like it because it's relatively thin (I have limited space in the trays), but rigid enough to not get totally blocked if bent. And it's clear, so I'll see when plant piss is fast approaching my mouth and will let go in time. I hope. :-)

The inside diameter is 0.17" / 5 mm, the outside diameter is 1/4" / 8 mm. First problem is - that is not even how those inches translate into mm, even though these diameters come directly from the label. But an even bigger problem is - I cannot find, neither at Home Depot nor online, some sort of a splicer or a straight, made of plastic or metal (sort of like in the attached image), to get both parts of the tubing connected. Looks like this tubing is too thin for the narrowest splicers available.

So, I looked for other tubing at some hydroponics sites, where I would ideally buy the splicers / straights as well, so it's guaranteed to fit, and all of it is non-transparent and thicker than I'd want it to be.

Ideally I'd like to use this tubing and splicers that hug the OUTside of the tubing, not the INside, so the tubing's inside diameter is not narrowed further.

I do not want to use just one long length of tubing instead - because it will be ugly hanging down there from each tray at all times. I want it to be inconspicuous.

What kind of solution can you think of here? Sorry, it seems so simple and dumb, but I really can't think of anything.

Comments (2)