Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardinerowa

Aerogarden starter tray questions

jardinerowa
15 years ago

Hey all,

These may be silly questions but don't know where else to ask.

I have the Aerogarden starter tray and planted my seeds. First question.. When I fill the water to the fill line of Aerogarden base, the starter tray floats on the water, it doesn't fit snugly in the base...is that right?

Also, the biocells are spongy which makes covering the dipples (holes) very difficult...or are you not supposed to cover them? Thanks!!

Zman

Comments (11)

• grizzman
    15 years ago

I don't have an aerogarden, but I doubt you need to worry about either issue.
    If the biocells don't absorb water its natural for them to float until the plants grow large enough to sink them (for lack of a better description)
    Also, very few plants require their seeds to be covered in order to grow. as long as the seed contacts the cell surface, you shouldn't have a problem.

• jardinerowa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Grizzman,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that most seeds didn't need to be covered to grow. Thanks.

Zach

• mrpepper
    15 years ago

I sprout all my seeds in just water. No need for any media until the root is over 1/4" for most seeds. I then put the sprouted seeds into the media and grow the plant.

This year for fun, I purchased the Aerogarden 6 hole version. It came with the herb selection. After about 4 weeks I took the basil out as it was taking all the light from the other plants.

To replant seeds, I bought an non-organic plug from Park Seeds. They fit perfectly into the Aerogarden, and you can just use your own seeds.

Here is a link you may find usefull: http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=6565&PrevMainPage=gateseedstarters&scChannel=Seed%20Starting%20AS&OfferCode=W1H

• jardinerowa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the parkseed link

One question...I noticed on some of the biocells of my aerogarden, there are whitish areas like mold or fungus. The aerogarden is in the house and gets obviously bright light so I don't know what I can do to prevent that!

I hope that doesn't mean I will have "damp off" problems or if it's OK. Please help thanks!

Zman

• mrpepper
    15 years ago

One thing you want to avoid is getting light down inside the basket or net pot where the plants grow. Of course light down there causes all kinds of things to grow. If your paper top came off the plastic net seed pot, you may want to cover the top of the net seed pots with something to keep the light out.

Mine works great so far, and have grown all kinds of herbs. I use my own nutrients now along with my own seeds. It is a nice way of growing herbs.

• art1
    14 years ago

These are very popular among the Aerogarden community especially at this time of year. Many resellers sell out of them, but I see that the Organicgardengrower.com website has them in stock, shipping 5 days out. May be wise to get two and keep one for next year, and just replace it as you use the other to ovoid a late start.

Here is a link that might be useful: AeroGaden Starter Trays

• wonderchef
    14 years ago

Mrpepper. Thanks for the link for the park plugs. I just got my Aerogarden a week ago and can't wait to start growing my favorite herbs after these plants are grown.

• mrpepper
    14 years ago

Wonder Chef ~ I was pretty happy to find those. I have grown so much in my Aerogarden its not even funny. I now have 4 units sitting on my counter.

However, I noticed with my last Aerogarden that they changed out the net pot or sponge holder so that its now shorter and rounded.

Hmm, wonder why they did that .....

• kathy_in_washington
    13 years ago

Hi - First time on this forum (member of the Harvest forum), because I had some questions about our Aerogardens.

I, too, was wanting to purchase the Starter Tray now; couldn't get them at the company (they're on back order); and am happy to see the link to Organicgardengrower.com. Thanks. I also appreciate the link to Parkseed.com for sponge/pod refills (MUCH better price than Aerogarden). And you say they work fine in my Agarden? That's wonderful.

I'd love to know, MrPepper, what nutrients you use to grow non-flowering plants (herbs, lettuces, etc.) in your Aerogarden. Would you mind sharing that information with dosage amounts, etc.? We have 3 Agardens, and I really don't like the original tablets (which always crystallized) or the individual packets of liquid nutrients (which are in wasteful packaging).

I'll continue to read other threads which include Aerogarden information, too. Thanks so much for your help.

Kathy in Sequim, Washington

• dblairx
    9 years ago

I would like to try the seed starter tray to start my tomatoes in my Aerogarden. I have never started seeds indoors but research suggests this might be a good way to start. I have an Aerogarden 7. My first question is how far ahead of planting them out should I start them in the Aerogarden? Everything I am reading says to start tomatoes indoors at least six weeks prior to the first frost. I've grown tomatoes in my Arrogarden and the roots were quite long and knotted by the time they got to six weeks. Should I use a shorter time table for planting outdoors? Maybe four weeks including a week of hardening?

Thanks!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting