Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water pump and heat

Posted by carb none (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 2:45

Hi, so i noticed that e water inside my reservoir was warm when i tested my water pump. The water was just recirculating inside the tank, it was completely covered. I am also using a big styro box without about half full (15liters) of water. The pump isnt big, just your normal 20gallon aquarium pump.

Any thoughts or is this normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water pump and heat

What do you mean by "warm water?" Measure the temperature of the water and see exactly what the difference in temperature is.

Also, are you planning to pump your water up to your plants? If so, that might help in cooling the water.

o

Measure the temperature of the water after a few days and compare it to the ambient temperature. You can't really expect it to stay below the air temperature indefinitely.

o

Pumps make heat and styrofoam will hold it in.

Warm water is bad for roots. You might consider replacing the styrofoam reservoir with a more typical non-insulated plastic box.

o

• Posted by carb none (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 11:16

@Cole_Robbie

that makes sense on the styro keeping the heat of the pump inside. The reason I opted for styro is because this will be placed outside in the warm weather of tropics. I figured the styro will help keep the sun's heat out.

@tn_gardening

The water is circulating inside the box and not yet going into the plants. Prior to that, the water was cold to the touch. I left it running about 3-4 days and came back to see and the water was warm to the touch. The box was placed inside the house where air temps are fairly stable.

o

You have the right idea in trying to keep the roots cool.

Burying your reservoir in the ground would be best. You would need to build a drain for the hole, too, so that rain water does not flood it. Second best to the hole would be stacking concrete blocks or big rocks around the reservoir.

o

• Posted by carb none (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 1:52

Thanks for the suggestion Robbie, I hadn't thought about stacking blocks around the reservoir. I agree burying the tank in the ground would be best, though it's not an option right now :(

o

I totally agree with "carb", because burying tank in ground would be best option till now. Any suggestion?

o

You could run an external pump or you can add bottles of frozen water to reduce rez temps or you could run a system that doesn't require continuous running of the pump. those are the basic thoughts I have on how to limit the temps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here