Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie needs suggestions for what to plant hydroponically

Posted by deansfba z9 SanFranArea (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 9, 12 at 3:25

WELL, I FINALLY DID IT!!!
I GOT A HYDROPONIC SETUP FOR UNDER MY 12 TRAY LIGHT STAND.
IT HAS 15 POTS IN A 2'X2' AREA. NOW COMES THE HARD PART:

WHAT SHALL I PLANT IN IT?

I EMAILED THE COMPANY I GOT IT FROM TO SEE IF THEY HAVE A CHART OF HOW MANY POTS I SHOULD LEAVE EMPTY IF I PLANT SOMETHING THAT NEEDS MORE ROOT SPACE [A LA SQUARE FOOT GARDENING].

THEY DIDN'T HAVE ONE. HRRRUMPH.

SO NOW THE CONUNDRUM. WHICH PLANTS TO CHOOSE???
IN THE PAST I THOUGHT OF GETTING A HYDROPONIC SETUP FOR ONE OF MY MAJOR ADDICTIONS: TASTY TOMATOES ALL YEAR ROUND. NOWADAYS I CAN GET CAMPARI TOMATOES AT MANY PLACES.
SOOOO, WHAT SHALL I PLANT IN ADDITION TO WHAT I PLANT IN MY GARDEN???

FINALLY THE IDEA CAME TO MIND:
TRY THE INVALUABLE KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE OF ALL THOSE KINDRED SOULS AT GARDEN WEB!!!
MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS.
DEAN
[BTW I TYPE IN CAPS BECAUSE I CAN READ IT MORE EASILY]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie needs suggestions for what to plant hydroponically

About the only thing you can grow in a 2 foot by 2 foot area is lettuce. They should be spaced at least 6 to 8 inches apart. Strawberry plants are about the same size, but you would need 30 to 60 of them to have a regular supply of ripe berry's.

P.S
You can grow a bunch of other things like green onions or radishes in the same space. But that would require a custom built hydro system, not a store bought system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here