Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth11_gw

What to look for in an EC meter?

beth11
15 years ago

Hi All,

I'm new to hydroponics and would like to purchase an EC meter. What features should I look for??

Thanks,

Beth

Comments (12)

• grizzman
    15 years ago

Whatever you do; don't shop for price.
    That being said, buy the truncheon EC meter. it's pretty much the gold standard.
    I've heard tell you can get them for around $40 on Ebay. I bought mine new for $100 about 5 years ago.
    Pros:
    No calibration
    runs on AA batteries
    waterproof
    provides EC, microsemens, and two ppm scales. (stick with EC readings)
    doubles as a stir stick.

• freemangreens
    15 years ago

Mega-dittos on the Bluelab Truncheon.

If you were to buy only one tool ever, make it a Truncheon. You can skimp on lots of things, but you MUST know what your EC is to grow things properly using hydroponics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's Bluelab's link

• beth11
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi All,

Thanks. Do you have any thoughts on Extech meters?

Thanks,
    Beth

• hydroponica
    15 years ago

I don't have any experience with the Extech, but I know for sure that the Bluelab is fantastic. You never need to calibrate it.

Tough as nails, works every time. Can't beat that.

Though if the rumors from Advanced Nutrients are to be believed you might not even need any meters before long.

• danielfp
    15 years ago

Well, EC meters belong to the past. EC measurements have a lot of problems and are often over exploited. What about using selective ion electrodes to measure your actual levels of K, N and P ? This can actually be done ! and it is not as expensive as you would think. I wrote an article on EC in hydroponics if you would like to check it out . http://allhydroponics.blogspot.com/2009/02/faq-electrical-conductivity-ec-in.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Everything about Hydroponics

• hydroponica
    15 years ago

You said pretty much everything I would've said, and a bit better really.

Like freemangreens says, it's not necessary for most hobby growers to know precise ppm or EC or anything else. What's important is that whatever the number is on one day reads exactly the same way on the same meter the next day. The accuracy of the meter is what's important, not the units of measure. Whether it tells you what your ppm is, your EC, or some kind of weird "saltiness scale" it doesn't matter as long as it always reads the same amount for the same solution.

That's why the Bluelab Truncheon is such a gem. The only thing you have to do to it is change the batteries one in awhile and rinse it off after each use. That's it. And it stays calibrated for years.

As long as you know where the lights on the stick need to be for your plants, it isn't important to know what the units are.

• hydro-grower
    15 years ago

Do you guy's use the same brand to test your PH??

• grizzman
    15 years ago

None of us are sold on any one brand of pH meter. I use a Hanna because it was cheap when I bought it ($18) and it has held up. Others simply use litmus paper from the fish tank supplier. I'm sure there are others who use the truncheon.

• danielfp
    15 years ago

You can try to use chlorophenol red to test the pH of your nutrient solution. It is a cheap efficient way to do so. I wrote an article on my webpage about this yesterday, you can check it out here (http://allhydroponics.blogspot.com/2009/02/checking-ph-of-your-hydroponic-system.html). I hope it helps those who can't purchase a pH meter !

Here is a link that might be useful: Everything Hydroponics

• grizzman
    15 years ago

The only problem I see with the chlorophenol is often times your initial solution is not clear. I know mine is blue, so the color scale would be off. the use of chelated iron would make it red I believe.

• hydroponica
    15 years ago

There isn't any pH meter that stands as decisively ahead as the truncheon does among EC/ppm meters.

I was going to get a pH meter, and I might still someday, but after looking into the initial outlay of money, plus the calibrating solutions you need to use pretty regularly, and of course the actual task of calibrating them frequently... it just seems like an awful lot of work to go to for me. I have test strips that read 5.5 to 8.0 that work well enough for my needs.

There's a bit of peering at the strip and the key and trying to decide if it's more one color or the other, but plants are pretty adaptable so it's not brain surgery. Pretty close is fine.

Though if the new stuff Advanced Nutrients is supposed to be unveiling does what they say it does, I might not even need the test strips. Their stuff is supposed to go past buffering and actually reactively adjust it's own pH in addition to the industry standard buffering.

Looks interesting. I'm gonna see if I can score some to review it for my blog.