Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frednumber3

First Hydroponic Try

frednumber3
15 years ago

Hello, Would appreciate just a few answers to a couple of questions. This will be a first time try at Hydro growing. Very difficult here in Florida with the terrible soil, insects and fungus. Had over 50 years of regular gardening up north and it was simple, 10/20/20, black plastic and water, that was all that was needed. Down here, nematodes, white flies which bring Tomato yellow leaf curl virus, it is killing Me.

So, I am going to build a raft system, it will be a small set up, a blue plastic tote from K Mart, Styrofoam float, 50/50 vermiculite/ perlite, aquarium air pump and air stone and it will be mobile. Will be on a dolley, mornings on back patio (East), carport from noon on. Got lettuce (a bib blend) and what I read it is a good first time crop. Just too technical for Me to jump in to a trough system like Norm34 has, which I will be getting into if this works. A lot of chemicals to get into and I must get My supplys at best price, I have to do My homework on that.

OK. Anyone ever hear of a product called "Watch Us Grow" This is the only Hydroponic Nutrient I can find here in Sarasota. It's a nursery here, it's 8-8-8 with minors, I think it's $18.00 a quart. Can I use this? Got the PH strips and when the solution starts to get out of wack I will use it on My soil garden and make up a New batch. Will this work?

Thanks so much for reading through this, I don't have anyone down here who does this and I am new at this type of gardening. Again Thank You, Fred

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?