Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doctorman_gw

best water pump timing duration on/off for hydroponics raintower

doctorman
9 years ago

Hey guys,

as some here might know I have a a bit over 6 feet high Hydroponics tower with 20 net pods sticking out of it in a 12 gallon water reservoir.

I have been struggling with bad root rots and lost all my strawberries and most of my other plants to.. the water temp is kept around 70-75F and that is the best i can do without a chiller

there is 2W air pump with 3 stones bubbling in my reservoir with usually less than 10gallon of water

the water pump comes on ever 15 min and off in 15min

I am thinking perhaps those timing might be the issue
I think 15min is way too long for the water to run on the roots perhaps 5min is more than enough and perhaps 30-40min off after each watering to let the roots dry a bit and get more air

I was wondering what you guys think about the timing..

I have read that you need minimum 1W air pump power per gallon water and I am far below that.. what air pump do you guys recommend? I need a silent one as this is in my living area

PH is kept at 5.5-6.2

nuts are under 1000ppm generally

I have tried mycrozihia beneficial bacteria and fungus with no help

moved on to H2O2 and we all know that does magic but that is not the way to maintain the system..

------
The picture attached is couple of months old and is with my old 5 gallon reservoir .. it is just attached to give you a rough idea what I am working with.

Comment (1)