Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crafting4goddess

How to Decifer EC readings...

crafting4goddess
15 years ago

I recently purchased a Milwaulkee EC meter (at a great price at $35 off...I'm thinking it was a return). I am keeping track of the meter readings at http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=plLVw082vfTwcoYs5iFAxZg

What I am seeing is the reading is going UP, instead of down. Why is this? I would think that the EC would go down when the nutrients are being used by the plants. Is this possibly because of evaporation?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• grizzman
    15 years ago

The EC reading typically rise over time as the plants use the water(transpiration) much more quickly than the nutrients.
    Ponder just how little nutrient is added to the solution versus water. as with humans, plants need water in much more abundance than food.

• freemangreens
    15 years ago

Do yourself a favor and buy a quality tool. I use a Bluelab Truncheon and even though it was well over a hundred bucks, it's worth it because it takes all the guesswork out of growing hydroponically!

• crafting4goddess
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Freemangreens...congratulations on your purchase of an overpriced unit...not everyone has the excess money to throw around. Your post was anything but helpful. People, like me, buy what they can afford. Next time, do me a favor & do not post unless you plan on being HELPFUL.

In the spirit of being helpful to others here who may have the same issues popping up...
    I called my local hydro store, and upon a discussion with them we determined that my nutrient solution was much too strong & the cause of the elevating reading was do to excess salts accumulating in the media. I am in the process of flushing the system with plain tap (no nutrients added) for a day, maybe two before adding fresh nutrient water.

• freemangreens
    15 years ago

How about a few one-liners?
    Happy New Year!
    You get what you pay for!
    If the shoe fits . . .

• grizzman
    15 years ago

Lets not bicker here. The truncheon really is the best EC meter as freeman points out, but having any meter is better than no meter at all. Be happy with what you've got. if you win a scratch card or something definitely buy a truncheon. you'll fall in love with it(so much as thats possible)
    Crafting,
    you didn't really tell us what type of system you're running. Unless your system is a well established ebb n flo system, I'd be suspect if salt buildup was the culprit. it normally takes a while for the salt levels to build up that much. Please refer to my first post for a(nother) real life cause that can and will happen during any part of the life cycle.

• crafting4goddess
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Grizzman, you're a voice of reason.

My setup is an Ebb & flow. It's been running for about two months now. I was reading in Urban Garden that a fresh water flush should be done every two weeks to prevent the salt build up I have. I didn't know this until recently as when I visited the previously mentioned hydro-store, they gave me 5 pounds worth of free reading material (what a great place!). Ironically, I found the article after calling them.