Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Urine as nutrient?

Posted by germie (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 12:19

Has anyone ever used urine as the nutrient in a hydroponic system?
Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Urine as nutrient?

Hi Germie,
Urine would no doubt be of some help to a hydroponic system, but as the sole nutrient, no way as it does not have everything a plant needs. To see exactly what foods plants need, I invite you to have a look at my web site in Australia, at http://www.home.aone.net.au/hydroponics
It will tell you just about everything you need to know about hydroponics. jimr007.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Sand Hydroponics

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 8:05

Unless refrigerated, urine will start growing bacteria after about hour. You could grow pathogens very easily.
Simplified Hydroponics has probably done more work than anyone else in this area. They help third world countries & use manure teas, etc. I personally would not use this type of hydro as there is too much risk of disease transmission, but they would be a good source of information.

o

I think the issue with urine in hydro is that most of the nitrogen constituent of urine is urea. Urea is catalyzed into ammonia, which is that very familiar pungent smell. What ammonia is left in the solution needs to be converted to nitrate, but the takes special bacteria which is plentiful in soil but not so in hydro solution. I am not saying it will not work but using a soluble nitrate fertilizer in ones hydro solution is much more effective.

o

I used urine last summer to grow a bunch of basil and it worked great. I was eating pesto all summer. Here a link to some pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basil

o

Hmm...interesting. Have you tried urine alone without the liquid seaweed?

o

yes it will work but you need to add a biofilter to grow nitrifying bacteria to convert the ammonia to nitrate(better form of usuablr nitrogen).

look up aquaponics (uses fish waste to grow hydroponic plants)

o

Let's take a look at the lighter side of the urine issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urine as Nutrient

o

Look in the Backward aquaponics website theres somewon there growing only with urine very successful under the heading pee ponics

o

The problem with plain urine is that it provides nitrogen in the form of ammonia (after maturing the ureum), it has no calcium or magnesium content and its phosphate content is very low.
Other than that . . . its a good potassium source.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here