Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salad pods don't reach the water.

Posted by rich_manure z6 SEMA (richdelmo@aol.com) on
Sun, Jan 17, 10 at 14:45

I just planted some salad greens in my Aero setup but I'm confused about the pod size. The bottom of the plastic pods does not reach the water which is filled to proper level. Last year I planted tomatoes and they had long pods, opposed to the shorter pod size the greens are in. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salad pods don't reach the water.

Well there is aeroponics and then there is areroponics, and there is even pseudo-areoponics. Some all-in-one-system obviously have the nutrient stock in the growing area. Actually the reservoir is also the growing bed or area.

If you like you may call that a hybrid DWC/Aeroponic system. Anyway, I suspect "rich_manure's" system to actually be such kind of setup.

@ rich_manure: Depending on if you have net pots with expanded clay, or some other media, - the roots should get enough humidity with the spraying or misting, to grow longer until they eventually reach the actual nutrient level.
You may insure this with shorter cycles of spraying, to be on the safe side.

In case you are using rockwool as media, be sure the sides of the cubes are wrapped with foil, otherwise roots tend to have more lateral growth.

PS: the roots of lettuce seedlings may indeed take somewhat longer to grow as long as the ones of some tomato seedlings.

o

Unfortunately one can't do any spelling corrections/editing here. It obviously should always say AERO... ;-) What I meant is that there are different kinds of setups that are called aero or aeroponics.

o

It's the Aerogarden sytstem, here is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: aero

o
RE: Salad greens pods don't reach the water

This link explains the product.

Here is a link that might be useful: aero2

o

I think I might have figured it out. There are 3 models of the aerogarden. There is the 7 pot system that incorporates the aeroponic method and then the 6 and 3 pot systems which use the DWC method. My guess is you have the DWC system. When you ordered the refill kit, you might have received the aeroponic plugs instead of the DWC plugs. Hope that helps.

o

Think you got it urbangardenerfarmer, the seed I have were a gift I received last year that contained 7 pods. I have the 6 pod system and didn't realize there was a difference, thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here