Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slb345

Saving Hydroponic Tomato Taste

slb345
12 years ago

Hello

I am currently growing pink brandywine tomatoes in a waterfarm hydroponic system, indoors, under a 400 watt HPS, using the supplied general hydroponics nutrients at the suggested amounts (PH target level of 6.0). For context, this is my first attempt at hydrponics, and I am a fairly inexperienced gardener in general.

After approximately 100 days, they are finally approaching full ripeness and, after picking the first one, I realized the taste was very bland. I don't think I picked it too early, as the color seemed approrpiate and I felt a decent amount of give from a gentle squeeze.

I read that PH has a large influence over flavor, and I have been doing everything I can to keep a 6.0 level. I also recently purchased the organic line of general hydrponics nutrients for use going forward in hopes that this may help.

Can anyone recommend something I can do to yield a taste closer to that of soil? Apologies if there are other similar threads, I've flipped through dozens and nothing seemed to truly answer the question.

Thank you!

Comments (4)