Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato varieties

Posted by ryan.moseby 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 15:35

Hi Guys,

I'm trying some varieties of tomatoes thats new to me and would like to know if any of you have some experience with these.

Great White Beefsteak
Golden Jubilee
White zebra

I'm using the flora series at the moment. Any recommendations on nutrients for tomatoes?

Thanks in advance and grow well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato varieties

None, sorry. I'm just starting with tomatoes, using some cuttings from the outdoor garden last year... grape and cherry, and maybe a roma. The grape is just starting to ripen...

I've been using masterblend nutes... See here for a reply I just made -
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hydro/msg0123102112083.html?1

And see this guys videos, could find out and share what variety he is growing:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mhpgardener

BTW - I found the flora nutes to be pretty expensive once you get rolling with a 60-80 leafy green system... it'd be even more pricey for tomatose..

o

Thanks for the reply. We don't have a lot of options when it comes to hydroponic nutrients where in South Africa. I'm going to try one called hydrogrow. A lot cheaper than the flora series and see how that goes.

I've been watching some of the stuff from mhpgardener. Really inspirational guy. Love his videos.

I think as hydroponics picks up here we'll see more good stuff come in. People here seems to be more into growing "organic" and don't yet see how extremely overrated it is. Drowning plants in pesticides and calling it better for you because it's grown "organically". ha.ha.

Cheers

o

Ah, South Africa... Can you get regular fertilizer? Do you have a nusery/garden/farm store you can print out the masterblend analysis and have them see if they have similar or can mix you something up?

o

I grew Great White in the garden last year, although not in hydro. It is probably the best white slicer and has an excellent mild flavor.

o

@nekbet. Yea we got fantastic nurseries here but not a lot that stock hydroponic items. If they do it's very limited. And then the hydroponic stores they've got good stuff but really only the more expensive stuff.

Thanks to our governments total disregard for it's people, gross misspending and absolute dictatorship mentality our currency is in the can lately.. But will see if there are other cheaper nutrients.

BTW. What is the NPK on the masterblend?

o

@Cole_Robbie,

Ah man! I'm really excited to try them out! Did you grow from seed?

o

4-18-38, then I add calcium nitrate and epson salt.

I think you could make your own there..

Here is a link that might be useful: Masterblend

o

Yes. I have a greenhouse and start a thousand or two plants every spring to sell. I put a link below to the company from whom I bought the Great White. They sell a lot of unusual heirloom tomatoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gleckler Seedman seed company

o

I an growing red Brandy Wine Heirloom (Thank you Pupilla Charites) tomato seeds I purchased on ebay, the results are very good and this is the second year of growing successfully, give them a go, I am also in the process of growing other heirloom varieties I will keep you posted.

o

Thanks for the info guys

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here