Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdgrower

Actually having problems/issues with Chloramine?

sdgrower
13 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has actually had issues with chloramine in their water supply? I have read and been told many times that chlorine and chloramine are bad for your plants and how you should us and RO system with a carbon filter to remove, but have not had any major issues (that I know of) and have been using unfiltered tap water in San Diego for over two years now without any problems.

I started off allowing the water to sit out for a day or two to let the chlorine evaporate before using, but after a few weeks learned that my water supply in San Diego has chloramine (chlorine and ammonia combined), which does not evaporate like chlorine does and needs to be removed with a carbon filter (unless you want to let is sit out for a a few months).

Despite the continued use of this water my plants have always been fine. I suspect maybe better water qualiy would improve both yeilds and taste, but I have not experienced any major issues with it so far.

I was wondering if anyone else has actually had issues thay can attribute to chlorine/chloramine? And if so, what was your solution?

Comments (5)

• hardclay7a
    13 years ago

Many hydroponic nutrient formulas utilize mineral elements that contain Chlorine and Ammonia. Some examples are: Ammonium Nitrate, Ammonium Sulphate, Calcium Chloride, Ammonium Phosphate and Potassium Chloride. I use small amounts of Sodium Hypochlorite as a root sanitizer on occasion. I can't see where small amounts of Chloramine would be a huge problem in hydroponics. I vaguely remember from my aquarium/fish pond days that Chloramine was something to be considered, but I forget the details. Maybe toxic for fish or something like that.
    Ken

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

The biggest problem with tap from what I have experienced isn't from chlorine toxicity. Of course, different areas have different levels of chlorine. I'm 20 miles south of Indianapolis and our water doesn't smell like a public pool, though you can still smell a little bit. Go to Indy and I can't hardly stand the water due to the smell of chlorine. Anyway, the problem I always run into is precipitation. I mainly use rain water. I sometimes use tap from the hose, like during drought, but it inevitably leads to precipitation of some minerals, which cause more problems than just plant problems. They clog the lines and build up in the pumps. The pH is harder to maintain, always on the rise right after adjustment. High chlorine content will give you a high pH, which leads to precipitation of minerals, but I don't know about chloramine.

I usually let tap sit for awhile to gas off chlorine just in case, but chloramine doesn't gas off. That said, if I have too much algae in something due to allowing light in, I just flush with fresh tap when I change nutes. Kills algae fairly well.

• hardclay7a
    13 years ago

Thats a very good point Joe;
    Now that you mention it, I changed my whole house filter cartridge from a charcoal type to a type with a smaller micron rating a while back. I was more concerned with heavy metals, excess minerals, precipitates, & particulate matter than anything else. Simply due to the fact that my well water doesn't contain any chloramine.
    Chloramine concerns have been mentioned elsewhere in this forum but I can't recall anyone ever having plant illness issues that could actually be pinned down to Chloramine. I'm sure someone may have an urge to start dumping massive amounts of chloramine into there tanks to test this, which would be an interesting experiment. But that's not me. Charcoal filtration doesn't cost too much and it wouldn't be a bad idea for the whole house, (If chloramine is present) but if I have been growing with it for over two years; Showering, cooking and brushing my teeth with it for even longer,(along with the rest of San Diego), I just wouldn't be all that concerned. Yet on the other hand, in the summer when my A/C unit is pumping out over 12 gallons a day of condensation, I'll be funneling it into every container I can find.
    Crazy Isn't It?
    Ken

• sarsnavy05
    13 years ago

Being that the purpose for adding chlorine/chloramine to public water supplies is to neutralize bacteria and viruses, using this water to feed your plants (or self) most likely won't do any harm to them, but I would >assumeJust my two cents, but for the price of some active nutrients, I err on the side of filtering the water whenever possible.

• hardclay7a
    13 years ago

Well get the activated carbon charcoal or whatever the filter thing is then. If I'm not mistaken the chlorine is added at the water company as a sanitizer, not the ammonia. The ammonia is a by product of fish waste introduced in the reservoir or whatever that aqueduct thing does where people catch fish and drag race on that movie grease when there's no water going through it, then it (the ammonia) binds with the chlorine or something like that to form chloramine but what the heck do I know, I probably have it all wrong. But I don't have any of it in my water so I don't care. But don't get me wrong, I feel real bad for the citizens of San Diego, having to cook, clean, brush their teeth, bathe, shower, Etc. with that disgusting water. I always try to use the best water available. Be it A/C evaporator water, well water, rain water, melted snow, or water out of the 500 mile shoreline lake in my back yard. None of it contains chlorine, chloramine, or ammonia so I just don't care. Furthermore, I don't use any beneficial micro organisms, Biological amendments from compost or mycorrhizal inoculations etc. Just sterile mineral elements, and when I observe such organisms, harmful, beneficial or whatever, I simply Kill them all. How? With Sodium Hypochlorite, Yes, that's Chlorine!