Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rich_miller_gw

Japanese Maple Seedlings in a Hydroponic environment.

Rich_Miller
11 years ago

Hi guys.
Recently I acquired several well rooted Japanese Maple seedlings which are currently dormant.

After reading this forum for literally hours, I think I would like to grow them hydroponically. I have been studying Deep Water method, georgeiii's method, and NFT method.

My goal is to have them in a salable condition for the coming season's farmer's market.

They are currently 12-16 inches long.

Do any of you experienced growers have any thoughts on the viability of this idea?

If so, which method would you proceed with?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• grizzman
    11 years ago

Based on what you want to do, grow them in sellable pots (1 gallon or 3 gallon) with a light media. I would use either coir, hydroton, or lavarock. place those pots in a flood n drain system. That way you don't have to do anything when you're ready to sell them and people at farmers markets don't want a tree in a net pot.

• Rich_Miller
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input.

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

I think a hydroponic tree is a neat idea, but I don't think most people would understand it enough to want to buy it. You might also want to test some first for transplant shock. Then you can reassure the people who don't understand hydro that they can plant it in the ground like a normal tree.

Hydro fruit trees or bushes would be really cool, too.

• Rich_Miller
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My idea is to take advantage of the faster grow/bloom times associated with hydro, then to transplant into soil prior to selling the plant. I realize there might be an issue with transplant shock but I think if I were to make the transition at least a few weeks prior to selling the plant, it would recover well enough.

At least that's my hope.
    I am only investing $1.50 per plant so my costs are not exorbitant if it fails.

• grizzman
    11 years ago

I thought that was you plan. That is why i suggested growing them in the post you'd sell them in. you should just grow them in coir so the customer can take them out of the pots and put them straight into the ground with minimal shock risk. Plus, the coir has a soil-esk appearance to minimize customers uncertainty.

• Rich_Miller
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point...
    I'll do just that.
    I am nearing retirement and have some medical issues. I am hoping this might be a way to supplement Social Security.

Thanks again.

• grizzman
    11 years ago

If you want to maximize your return, plan on keeping them hydro for probably two years. larger trees bring a higher price.
    Social Security. What's that?

• georgeiii
    11 years ago

Actually I'm growing some Japanese maple cuttings I took at the end of September. (32 oz) Their growing roots now and little fuzzy red bumps are starting to show at the nodes. I took several different cuttings from Weeping cherries, Magnolia trees ( 5lb cups)and different roses. All of which are starting to swell. I started a Moonglow pear last March that did very well last year. It's still outside during the winter in a five gallon bucket. Roots and bark all still look good. Infact I have 7 different trees growing outside in my system just to see if they'll survive. While I say they will I'll have to wait till it warms to know for sure.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022