Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohman11_gw

Canna Nutrients

ohman11
14 years ago

I have gotten some of this, it seems to be a 2 part system, really 4 part with the AQUA VEGA and the AQUA FLORES. Have any of you tried this? Here is a link to it.

http://www.gchydro.com/DETAIL.ASP?PRODUCT_ID=XCANNAQUFL5L

http://www.gchydro.com/Canna+Aqua+Nutrient+-+Vega++-+5+Liters.html

Comments (10)

• grizzman
    14 years ago

What prompted you to buy that versus other brands?

• grizzman
    14 years ago

Okay so I actually looked at the links you posted. it does not answer the question I asked but DAMN! If you're spending that kind of money (almost $200) for nutrients, it's time you found something more economical.
    If you live in or near a large city, find a landscape supply company and ask them to order you a 25# bag of soluble hydroponic solution (from southernag, if they don't have another source)and a 50# bag of greenhouse grade calcium nitrate. together those will cost you under $100. couple that with a box of epsom salts from a local pharmacy (or waly, if you're not into supporting you local economy so much) and you can blend up solution that'll grow tomatoes and peppers just fine for a looooooonnnnng time.

Alternatively, check out This site for instructions and ingredients to completely build your own nutrient solutions.

• ohman11
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I bought a guy out that was getting out of it, I bought 4 1 gallon jugs of it for 20 bucks. I was just curious if anyone else have tried it.

• ohman11
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I struck out on buying these things in bulk. I was also told you need a special license to buy calcium nitrate.

• frednumber3
    14 years ago

Southern Ag factory down here in FL.
    I just was there a week ago (Palmetto) and current price of 5-11-26 went down from $30.40 (4/20/09) to:
    25 lb 5-11-26 25lb Hydro $22.95
    Cal Nitrate Grnhs 50 lb. $23.10 (no license, no questions)
    Epsom Salts 50lb $18.29

If the 5-11-26 went down I'm assuming the Cal Nitrate went down but 50 lbs of this stuff will last You a lifetime.

• grizzman
    14 years ago

go to southernag.com for the soluble hydroponic solution (Product number 64777). it's $25(I think) for the bag + shipping. they may offer the calcium nitrate too, I'm not sure. I bought my calcium nitrate two years ago, so maybe something's changed since then. I didn't need any kind of license. Maybe your state requires some kind of permit.

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. When using these chemical salts, do you end up with the same flavorful product as if you were using say the botanicare line of nutrients or some other high quality brand? I've been a long time user of these products and would love to switch to save some money. But with products like the pure blend pro line(botanicare), you not only get the primary, secondary and micro nutrients, but you also get humic acid, citric acid, raw sugar cane, amino acids and silica clay. Plus most of the nutrients come from organic sources like fish meal, composted sea bird guano, kelp and bone meal.It also has chemical salts like rock phosphate, potassium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and calcium carbonate.
    It seems like to me that using these products instead of just the chemical salts, would lead to way tastier and healthier fruits and veggies. It's like having the best of both worlds. Just a thought.

• grizzman
    14 years ago

I know they don't include humic acid, citric acid, raw sugar cane, amino acids or silica clay. I'm pretty sure you can add those ingredients independently on your own if you desire. I'm not sure the amino acids do much for the plants as they (the plants) will just make their own. As for the other things, remember the plants will absorb the chemicals only in a usable form. whether the calcium comes from bone meal or calcium nitrate, the plant doesn't care.

In my experience, they taste just as well grown in these salts as in the soil. (I've grown the same crop in both)I can't speak to different hydro solutions.
    As for healthier, I doubt you'll find any definitive research stating one form of hydroponic nutrient does a better job than another. I know all the different blends declare theirs is the best, but I'm not talking propaganda.

Shoot me an email with your address (find mine on my profile page) and I will mail you enough to grow a tomato plant through harvest, then you can decide for yourself. I only ask that you let me know your results or post them here.

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

Thanks a lot grizzman. That's really cool. I'll let you know how it grows for sure.

• ohman11
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For what it is worth, I have found several people that do use this Canna and they say it is Top Shelf! Pricey but great stuff. Thanks for all of the good advice and Grizzman I do plan on buying this stuff in bulk that you told me about. I appreciate the help.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH