Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Mold on Rockwool

Posted by jtmerchant (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 23, 05 at 21:37

I have a flood and drain system and in a butter bucket is a bunch of LECA (clay aggregate) as a medium, with rockwool starter cubes containing tomato plants. On the rockwool are white dots, which I think might be mold. How can I tell if this is mold, and how do I get rid of it without upsetting my nutrient solution?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Mold on Rockwool

If it isnt mold,it may be salt deposits, or water hardness or fertilizer residue.

It does build up on my systems too


 o
RE: Mold on Rockwool

If it is mold your humidity is to high.
Try a humidity tester.

These guys have the cheapist parts:

http://www.milehighhydroponics.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: buy cheap stuff here


 o
RE: Mold on Rockwool

SO HOW DO I GET RID OF THE WHITE DOTS ON THE ROCKWOOL?


 o
RE: Mold on Rockwool

If it's mold, splashing some water on it won't change it's appearance. Salt or hard water deposits will "fade" or disappear after getting wet, mold won't.

I cultivate mushrooms as well as veggies and in mycology a good way to get rid of mold is to make a salt paste and smear that on the affected area(s)... No idea what affect the salt could have on your plants though.


 o
RE: Mold on Rockwool

I have mold on the top of my rockwool for sure. How harmful is it? and how do you get rid of it?


 o
RE: Mold on Rockwool

Do you use a "cleaner" in your water?

Try running H2o2 added to water through your system for 30 min then add your nutrients to that. Look up the correct amount of h2o2 and what kind to use. The h2o2 will stay effective for 3 days so top off res. with the h2o2/water. You will see the effects almost right away if you dont already use a cleaner.


 o
RE: Mold on Rockwool

The H2O2 should do the trick for you, but it's also one of those things where more isn't necessarily better. Be aware of the concentration (3%, 12%, 35%) and the proper dilution, as the peroxide can do the same thing to your roots that it does to your skin and may stunt your plants if over-concentrated.

If you are also using mycorrhyzial amendments and/or beneficial microbial innoculants, the peroxide will neutralize them requiring reapplication. I'd recommend mixing your H2O2 sol'n in a spray bottle and using it as a surface application for the affected areas.

If you look on amazon or certain hydro dealers, your can find vinyl covers for the rockwool cubes that fit around the plants stem and can reduce mold and algae formation.

HTH!


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here