Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisrintz

Topping off my nutes

chrisrintz
15 years ago

I promise i have searched the site...is there any problem with topping off my reservoir with the same strength solution as i started with? I have noticed a few folks feel that topping off with plain water is the way to go, but as my plants have grown, I seem to be adding a gallon or so to my reservoir every day. I have been mixing up extra solution when I change (every 2 weeks) and it seems that i may be short changing my babies of I am constantly diluting the nutes. I only have a 5 gallon bucket feeding 4 pots. The PH seems to remain fairly constant, and haven't experienced any significant increases over the 2 weeks cycle.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Comments (7)

• grizzman
    15 years ago

I assume you don't have an EC meter otherwise the answer is maintain the EC when topping off. the typical mindset without using EC is to top off with plain water until you've doubled your initial amount then change the whole batch. so for your five gallon bucket of nutrient after you've added 5 gallons of water, dump it and start a fresh batch.

• freemangreens
    15 years ago

Ditto on the EC meter; it's a must-have.

There seems to be two theaters: hobby and serious. To my way of thinking, if you're going to spend a lot of time, energy and money on this, whether it's a hobby or something else, reinventing the wheel is not an option. Learn from those who have gone the same path before you. You need the proper "tools" to get the job done. If you have only enough money for one tool, make it a quality EC meter. EC is the hartbeat of your garden.

Remember, hydroponics is not "natural"; plants normally grow in soil and they do all the work of gathering what they need to grow. If you expect them to outperform their intended purpose, you have to keep one step ahead of the game. That requires knowledge and tools.

• nateb123
    15 years ago

Hi
    Have you considered using a larger reservoir? Automation is kind of out of the question if you are required to fill everyday. Kind of takes away the fun of the hobby and turns it into a chore. A bigger reservoir has lots of benefits, including having a balanced system.

Anyway, topping of is hard without a EC meter. You may want to get one if you plan on keeping this up.

Are you using a drip and does it recycle nutrient?
    I realize you have a pretty small system but have you checked for leaks? What stage of growth are your plants at? Is it possible you are losing moisture through evaporation?

Sorry to be so invasive, just trying to get more info

Well good luck with your problems
    Nate

Here is a link that might be useful: alternative-innovation.com

• akjim907
    15 years ago

I'd have to give "get a meter" my vote... I'm brand new to all this it's first attempt. Although I did lots of research before going forward. Last week I had a spike in PH 7.0 to 7.5 without my meter I would have never known when and how much to adjust.

I'm able to keep my nutrients spot on.

Just me $.02 worth... good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: First Try Lettuce

• chrisrintz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry for leaving out some critical information. I have both Hanna PH and EC meters. I check the PH daily, but have only been using the EC for checking solution when I mix it up. The buckets recycle back to the main reservoir.

So is the idea to keep the EC at the number I started? The PH never seems to vary significantly - I'll start at 6.0 and wiggle up to 6.2 by the end of my 2 week nute cycle.

Thanks for the advice - part of the enjoyment is learning new things!

• freemangreens
    15 years ago

Email me and I'll send you some EC and pH growing charts, which are way too large to post here. That goes for anyone else, too; I'm big on sharing.

:O)

• chrisrintz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks - based on these tables, I am underfeeding my tomatoes by quite a bit...my EC starts off at about 1360 PPM. I'll crank it up slowly and see how it goes. Looking forward to seeing your plans for the gravity feed. Pumps are becoming a a bit of a maintenance chore.