Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What systems work Tomatoes and Cukes?

Posted by monique_v 9 N. Calif. (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 21, 06 at 23:54

Hi!

I am very new and excited to have lettuce growing (floating raft)!! My brain is pondering a tomato and cuke set up for the summer and it seems like this hydroponic thing can get really complicated, really quickly. I love the idea of using a large reservoir with a pot in it filled with vermiculite, planting a tomato in it and adding nutrient solution whenever it gets low. Will that work? What simple devices work?

Thanks for your help --

Monique.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What systems work Tomatoes and Cukes?

Hi Monique,
Please have a look at my web page from Australia. It will answer many of your questions.
http://www.home.aone.net.au/hydroponics

jimr007

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Sand Hydroponics

o

Wow -- really nice web page. Do you use that system for cucumbers and peppers? I noticed you said that you do tomatoes in concrete troughs. That's not an option for me. Can you suggest what size pipe or container might be large enough for the roots? Thanks.

o

Hi Monique v,
The root ball on a well grown hydroponic tomato plant is about 6 inches across and 6 inches deep, but some plants spread out much more than that. You can grow it in anything ... a plastic tub or an old steel tub. Fill it up with sand or your preferred medium, put a few holes in the bottom, and catch the drippings and recirculate them.
I have even seen a chaff bag of sawdust laid on its side and a few holes cut in the top of the bag to plant tomatoes in and regularly fed nutrient solution. Sometimes they do not bother recirculating their nutrient solution, but that is wasteful.
I do not grow peppers (they give me the burps), but they are a relative of tomatoes and should thrive well with the formula on my web site.
Jimr007
Australia.

o

Thanks for your help. I'm going to go for it! I might email you on your site if I get stuck. I hope that's okay.

Monique.

o

Hi Monique,
If you get stuck, please feel free to email me with the email address on my web site.
Cheers,
Jimr007
Australia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here