Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
all_things_green

Seramis Clay Granules

all_things_green
16 years ago

Hello,

I have been looking for a US supplier of Seramis Clay Granules, but have only been able to find it at there UK web site. Does anyone know of a US supplier of this product? And if not is there a similar product that I could use? Thanks for any advice.

Comments (12)

• charlielittle
    16 years ago

Kinda looks like Floor Dry but a different color. I was thinking of trying some floor dry as it is a clay absorbent but it's dusty and would have to be rinsed off through a screen to remove the dust and smaller particles. Don't see why it wouldn't work in hydroponics unless there's some sort of toxicity I'm not aware of. It's certainly cheap enough! Available at any auto parts supply.

Floor Dry

• charlielittle
    16 years ago

Here's a couple pics of some floor dry on a 1/8" mesh screen and the same floor dry after wetting...

{{gwi:998403}}

{{gwi:998404}}

• all_things_green
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes I was thanking of something like that as well. Or clay cat litter, but I to was also concerned about the toxicity, as some of the stuff is treated with chemical additives. I am wanting to make a soilless mix for my Nepenthes plants. The mix calls for lava gravel, Leca clay balls, and Seramis clay granules. I have the first two, but have been able to find Seramis. I am thanking of using something like fired akadama as a substitute though it is kind of expensive.
    Thanks so much for the help.:)

• charlielittle
    16 years ago

I just looked at a bag of floor dry at the hardware store. Says 100% natural. I suppose different manufacturers might treat with some chemicals for various absorbing characteristics. Plain ole floor dry though is nothing but clay granules.

• all_things_green
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sweet! I'll check it out. Thanks charlielittle for the heads up.:)

• charlielittle
    16 years ago

You're welcome! After sifting/rinsing some quantity of floor dry, I find it about 50% gathered over a 1/8" screen. It drains very well and likely would do well over a 20 mesh window screen for even more gathering.

Transplanted this little tomato seedling into a cup of it and will treat it like ebb and flow for awhile and see how she grows...

{{gwi:998405}}

• all_things_green
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cool! I hope it grows well for you! Please let us know how it develops. That aggregate looks like it contains other ingredients besides clay? I wonder what other minerals are present? Nepenthes are very sensitive to minerals, to much and the plants well perish. That is my only concern with using something like that. It would be nice to know what all they put in that stuff. Thanks again.

• charlielittle
    16 years ago

Found out the proper name for the clay in floor dry is Fuller's Earth. Different sources of it worldwide. The floor dry at the hardware store says 100% Fuller's Earth. Has a picture of a flower pot on it for a potting soil amendment. I washed a 50 pound bag through a 1/8 inch screen and ended up with a five gallon bucket full. Cost of the 50 pounds was $6.47. I don't know the cost of most other medias so don't know how to compare it.

Might be best to stick with known sources.

• all_things_green
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks charlielittle for the info. That would probably be safe enough to use. But I believe I have came up with a mix that will work well for my needs. It consist of 1 part of each of Lecastone 8-16mm expanded clay, black lava gravel, laterite (used as a growing medium in fresh water aquariums), and Aerolite. I have everything but the laterite, and that should arrive sometime this week. I came up with this mix by researching into what other Nepenthes growers have used in there mixes, and used ingredients that showed to give the best results by themselves or in a mix. I am in the process of soaking, and rinsing the ingredients that I have in pure rain, and distilled water to wash away any salts or minerals (if there are any present). Thanks again for your advice. :)

• Wynonah Bates
    7 years ago

I'm looking for a seramis option and ideas vs hydroton (US). I noted that seramis is very much a european item, and many suppliers won't even sell/ship to the states (to my dismay). There is a pourous stone option for hydroponics that I've heard good things about and used with limited success, but the seramis is not only beautiful it seems to be more pourous than other medias. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

• gardev
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Growstone? Looks like perlite, holds more water and is more porous and it doesn't crumble and turn to dust like perlite. It's also more sustainable than perlite. I have no affiliation to them I just like the product.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks