Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no medium nft, can bottom of stem touch steam?

Posted by plzhelp123 none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 3:35

i am designing an nft system with a pbc pipe with holes drilled in the top of it. the stream will trickle down the bottom of the pbc and the plants will be in the holes, their roots taking nutrients from the stream
i plan to use no medium, just stems in holes
the problem arises about how to keep the plants upright with their roots dangling in the stream
i could clamp them but i don't want to clamp them so hard that i strangle them
this problem would be easier to solve if it was ok to allow the bottom of the stems to rest on the floor of the pbc pipe in the stream, this way the floor will take alot of the weight from the plant and i can use weaker clamps
would this be bad for the plant? for the bottom of the stems to be in the stream?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no medium nft, can bottom of stem touch steam?

omg ive been saying pbc pipe all my life and its pvc... so embarrassing

o

In my nft systems, I normally use small 2" net pots with hydroton to stabilize the plants. Other than that, the hydroton is of no consequence. I would suggest something similar.

o

I agree with grizzman with hydroton or even lava rock, which I use successfully as a mixture 50/50. it is a little heavier however holds the nutrients well, and possibly give the plants a little more stability.
Using the Kratky analogy as long as the root tips touch the nutrients the roots will follow the moisture and give good results, giving the whole stem and roots a bath will drown the poor plant. Use the KISS principle and you will find success.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here