Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chamfreak

Hydroponic palm growing newbe

chamfreak
18 years ago

Howdy all,

I've been growing indoor palms hydroponicly for the past 18 months as a trial. I'm using a flood and drain system with no artifical light or heat. Results are impresive so far but there are a few questions I'd like answered if possible.

1. what nutrients would be recomended for growing palms? ( I'm using an off the shelf "general purpose" nutrient)

2.would extra light and heat be advantagious?

The main puropse of growing these palms hydroponicly is for seed production.

I can post some pics if required.

Thanks in advance,

Jay.

Comments (3)

• jimr007
    18 years ago

Hi Chamfreak,
    When I lived in Brisbane, birds used to sit in our Jacaranda tree and chew on palm seeds, then drop the bare seed onto the lawn or into a garden. Later, I noticed small palm trees starting to sprout.
    This tells me that palms are not very fussy what they are planted into and what you give them to "eat".

If you would like to make your own nutrient solution from basic ingredients, please have a look at my web site from Australia below. I use a coarse sand medium which would be ideal for many palms, after all, they do grow in deserts.

Cheers,
    Jimr007
    Sunshine Coast, Queensland.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Sand Hydroponics

• baci
    18 years ago

Chamfreak, how long will it take for the palms to produce seeds? You will also need a pollinator.
    What kind of palm are you growing? The amount of lighting and heat needed will depend on the palm grown. Some are drought tolerant & some are tropical. Some varieties, such as the Queen will do well when started in a moist environment, but will not transplant out to a dry environment once they are started in a moist environment. Palms tend to like salts, which is a plus for hydro growing.
    I have tried growing Washingtonia robusta, Canary Island Date, Windmill, & another palm in hydro but am still in the beginning stages. I am mainly using hydro for propagation. My plants are seedlings  about 9 months. I have had success transplanting Yucca cane palm from soil into hydro, but not with the others. The main problem I saw with the yucca cane is a lighter leaf color. I have had yucca cane in hydro for about 1-2 years. It does better in soil, so I do not have my nutrients right.
    What kind of media are you using? I am using peat as a media & some sand. The Washingtonia Robusta does fair in sand, but better in peat. I have also propagated common cycad seeds using Perlite as a media, which worked better than soil. I kept them in Perlite for about 6 months & planted them out into soil without problems.
    Something to consider is the cost of your system versus the cost of the seeds. I use the simple pot method because I do not want the expense of a pump for long term plants. I use a general hydro nutrient, which is more expensive, but my purpose is experimentation. The main suggestion I would have with hydro nutrients is to go with a water soluble rather than a soil based ones. When working with long-term plants, the nutrient deficiencies will show up with soil based nutrients. I started out with soil based nutrients with my yucca cane, & that is probably why its growth is decreased.

• chamfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Guys,
    I'm growing dwarf , shaded palms (Chamaedorea) You would probably know the common species- the Parlor palm and the Bamboo palm. I grow most of the un common species of the family.
    See my website for more info on Chamaedorea palms : kamipalms.com

The species I'm growing usually take 3 to 5 years from seed to flower. Both male and female plants are required and these guys don't show their sex untill they do flower.
    I'm using an expanded clay medium in a flood and drain system. This system cycles 3 times a day , 365 days a year. No difference from summer to winter.

The end profit of seed production far out weighs the cost of the system and maintaining it.
    Heres a photo of some trial plants.

On the left is the hydroponicly grown subjects and the right is regularly grown subjects of the same.
    All 4 plants in the photo ( 2 per pot) were from the same batch of seed and the same size before placing 2 into the hydro system. Photo shows 12 months growth.

A few more questions,
    what nutrients ( brand?) would you guys recomend?
    Any other additives ? ( I only use nutrient and tap water - PH 7.5 )
    What about flowering, do I change to a "flower" nutrient when the time is right?
    One more, does it matter what time of day I cycle the system , in regards to daylight?... these plants require moderate shade.

Thanks,
    Jay.