Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homehydro

Using Sand as a growing media

homehydro
12 years ago

This thread is created, and only for people who have used sand as a growing media, wish to use sand as a growing media, or are interested in using sand as a growing media. No other replays will be tolerated. Any reference to hydroponic systems or anything other growing median than sand will be dealt with harshly. That's simply to make sure the thread does not GET SIDETRACKED.

Anyone else use sand as growing media before?

Comments (17)

• grizzman
    12 years ago

In answer to your question, yes I have used sand before, but only on small scale projects.

• RoboGeek
    12 years ago

In college for my horticulture class we maintained a pine tree plantation for harvesting - we ran a mist bench setup with sand as the medium for rooting seedlings/cuttings. We only used it for rooting but it worked very well. I'm going to try it this year for garlic and onions.

I'm thinking some of the more root based plants would be perfect for sand. But sand retains liquids longer so you would have to be careful the roots get enough oxygen.

I think the only practical method would be a mist or possibly a drip setup, on a timer. And beware - a sand setup is heavy when wet! I would also recommend perlite or something mixed in for some spacing for oxygen to get in - sand is pretty dense

• homehydro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

RoboGeek,
    Let us know how it goes. I have used sand as a growing media for growing green onions and radishes (both root based plants like you mention). I cant come up with a better growing media for them. But after the first grow I've made planed modifications to the growing system in many ways. The modifications mainly reduce weight, make it easier to harvest, as well as do regular maintenance for a system growing commercially.

What type of sand were you using? What grit was it? Did you have any pH issues?

I also agree using a filler such as perlite or vermiculite would be recommended (25% to 33%) from my experience anyway. Sand (in my experience) actually drains moisture very quickly if it's designed with large enough grit sand, and with a good drainage system/design. Basically how well it drains, depends on how well your drainage system is designed.

• RoboGeek
    12 years ago

back then (70's) we were not very knowledgeable on things like Ph and stuff. We rooted the trees in the mist box and as soon as we had good root growth we put them in little bags of soil to be planted on the farm in the spring. But they taught us a ton of stuff about nutrients, and even had us testing soil with the DOA.

• rmbill
    12 years ago

OT/ Homehydro, Are you somebody important or something that you can place restrictions on these threads. Just asking because I find it annoying.
    Bill

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

"OT/ Homehydro, Are you somebody important or something that you can place restrictions on these threads. Just asking because I find it annoying.
    Bill"

I am going to have to go ahead and say somthing to this. I just got called a "troll" in the container forum ;) I think many might confuse my HUGE passion for growing plants. Any debate I have had was garden related, not like some of the remarks made in the Container Gardening section under the post called "Scott's Potting Soil Question" Go ahead check it out I want everyone to see ;)

• rmbill
    12 years ago

I see what you mean. They are just looking for a spat. Ignore them. Maybe they will go away. If you don't fully agree with them then you MUST be an idiot, huh?
    I grow Brugs and I do use Pro mix and Miracle Grow with pretty good results. Sometimes I adjust it a little.
    Grow happy,
    Bill

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

Lol yea I dont know. I adjust it too.

Happy Growing as well.

• homehydro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rmbill
    No, I'm not, I'm just like everybody else. I'm just a guy sharing my opinions/thoughts in a forum about a topic I enjoy. I also completely agree that restricting the conversation is a terrible idea/plan. But it simply isn't my idea to do so. The new rule was implemented by grizzman (against my objections) who apparently feels differently. So I guess until there's another new rule, it's only one topic per thread, and no straying from that topic (no mater how short the reply is). Personally I'm not that anal and I couldn't care less if people want to share something that may be considered "off topic." So you wont here any complaints about sharing anything from me. Unless it's a commercial, but if it's not spam, I personally don't care if you what to share other things.

Fact is lots of things get brought up "off topic" that wouldn't have been brought up otherwise. Spur of the moment thoughts and comments are a VERY important part of learning new things in a forum. That's why I'm clearly against limiting the conversations.

• grizzman
    12 years ago

Please don't bring me into your petty bickering HomeHydro.
    And by the way, isn't this off topic.

• homehydro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

grizzman
    How can I possibly explain the situation without bringing your name up?? IT'S YOUR RULE, NOT MINE, and I wont take credit/responsibility for it. It was simply a valid question and deserved a valid answer. If you have changed the rule again, let the rest of the forum know about it.

"And by the way, isn't this off topic
    Absolutely (even YOUR reply is off topic), but if you don't remember, I'll repeat myself:

"Personally I'm not that anal and I couldn't care less if people want to share something that may be considered "off topic." So you wont here any complaints about sharing anything from me. Unless it's a commercial, but if it's not spam, I personally don't care if you what to share other things.

Fact is lots of things get brought up "off topic" that wouldn't have been brought up otherwise. Spur of the moment thoughts and comments are a VERY important part of learning new things in a forum. That's why I'm clearly against limiting the conversations.

Fact is if I ever enforce the new rule (YOU MADE) it would only be against you. After all It's YOUR RULE and you should know better. But if there ever becomes a time you change your mind about the new rule (YOU INVOKED), then make sure we all know what the NEXT new rule is. That way can all be on the same page.

• grizzman
    12 years ago

Fact is HH, I posted one thread and asked to keep it on topic for a specific reason. I never stated all threads had to be kept on topic, nor do I have the authority to do so.
    I don't make rules for you. why are you so hung up on it?
    If you're not so anal, how come after that incident(see here for those interested) you immediately created 3 or 4 threads saying not to go off topic? You're right that's not anal. That's just . . . showing the true colors of your back side, to put it mildly.

• georgeiii
    12 years ago

See now why do I need to say anything when others are seeing how poor and petty a monitor you are for this forum. And yes I'm posting more pictures. Don't take homie's advice he lacks experience and the skills and please, please don't ask him to display pictures.

• homehydro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is only a partial Fact grizzman, it's the parts you conveniently left out that make the difference. First though it is true that that thread is the FIRST thread you placed a disclaimer as the first post, there are dozens of threads in the past 6 months or so where you repeatedly post saying you want the thread to get back "ON TOPIC." So it seems you are clearly wanting to crack down on what you consider "OFF TOPIC" threads.

Second, I posted some short reply's in the thread you posted the link to, and even though I fallowed your rules to the letter ("Please refrain from belittling or contesting/contradicting his system IN THIS THREAD"). Not to mention keeping my reply's short and to the point, that still wasn't good enough for some reason apparently. In your disclaimer you didn't say you only wanted to get reply's from georgeiii and no other incite would be welcome. FACT is Nobody was "belittling or contesting/contradicting his system," if A few sentience's is enough to through a thread "OFF TOPIC" to you even though the subject mater was completely relevant, then there's clearly something else you have issues with.

Third, after you made it more than clear you simply didn't want any incite form anyone (or just me) even though it wasn't "belittling or contesting/contradicting his system" in any way, and stating that the subject of different growing media "has been discussed to death many times," clearly shows you have no interest in other peoples thoughts or experiences on the subject. That is the reason I started the (4) threads. For those that aren't bored by the subject, and wish to share their thoughts/questions (without being stifled if it dosen't please the person who started the thread). The disclaimer at the top isn't for anyone else but you grizzman, because it's your rule.

Starting a separate thread for each subject (even though very similar) is again me only fallowing your lead. Even though I still feel it's a completely stupid idea to restrict the conversation in any of them (to any particular subject). Creating a separate thread for each type of growing media does have it's advantages. But UNLIKE YOU, I would never restrict the conversation. Furthermore, I only started threads that are completely relevant to hydroponics (even if they are of no interest to you). You made it clear the subject bores you, but that shouldn't keep others from being able to discuss it. You didn't start the threads, and your participation in them is not required, there only for those who are interested in the subject (AS I AM).

So grizzman, in your own words:
    "If you have no light to shed on the subject then no response is necessary!

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

Hydroton wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• stevesmith.oregon
    11 years ago

Fail Forum! Moderate this and remove all these petty childish crying posts.

Is sand only recommended for Root vegetables and tree starts that will eventually be re-transplanted? I ordered strawberries/asparagus online once and it appeared they were grown in sand also.

I wanted to try to grown my entire garden in sand.

• grizzman
    11 years ago

Don't mind the pettiness Steve. That problem was resolved roughly a year ago.
    As to your statement. Sand is not often used, I think, because it is messy and heavy. It is true many plants are started in sand because sand allows the plants to be separated easily.
    Oh, BTW, welcome to the forums.