Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why is my butterhead different looking?

Posted by carb none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 8:17

Hello,

so my question is.. why does these 4 butterhead lettuces looking really different from this picture?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why is my butterhead different looking?

• Posted by carb none (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 8:18

why does the above pic look really different from this picture googled from images?

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 8:22

I grew mine under flor lights 3-4 inches from tips, air temps are at around 24-27c, pH 5.5-6, EC 1.4. these are about 14days from transplant or around 27 days from sowing. water temps around 24c

o

FWIW, mine look about the same as yours. It may be that there is a better type of seed to use in hydroponics than what you are using.

o

Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 18:28

You mean there are seeds specifically used for hydroponics? From what i read, i had always rhought that any seed is usable in hydroponics even to get optimum results...

o

I'm just guessing here but I suspect the ones in the first picture aren't getting as much light as the one in the second. those first ones look leggy. Well at least as leggy as lettuces can get.

o

Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 3:26

@grizzman

I don't know about the lights. I just use 3 14w daylight flor lights 2feet each. screwed them on a plyboard with aluminum tape and hung them about 3 inches above the lettuce.

o

Well I don't normally grow indoors with light, but 42W of light doesn't seem like enough. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you can eat the lettuce, I just think it doesn't look like traditional butterhead because of the light.

o

Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 19:00

No problem grizzman. I needed someone to point me in the right direction. What lighting requirements do you recommend based on your experience?

o

When I grew lettuce indoors under light, they were leggy too. Tasted fine, but butt ugly. When I grow indoors (in the winter) I just use a south facing window. Of course that is for NC or south. If you live further north, I'm not sure you'd get enough light.
I know that isn't much help so I would recommend tasting them. If they taste good don't worry about what they look like.

o

Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 23:24

when i harvested the above pic, they tasted fine, a hint of bitterness like romaine. however I was kind of looking forward to the crunchiness factor, which I didn't find. Maybe my lights are just not enough in terms of intensity?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here