Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to hydroponics

Posted by markmahlum (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 4, 10 at 9:11

I have never grown anything hydroponically and am considering trying lettuce, arugula and spinach. I'd like to use a foam raft.

Is aeration essential and what kind of electricity cost might be anticipated? In other words, what are some typical amp ratings? How is sizing done? Does one aerate 24/7?

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to hydroponics

Hi markmahlum,

I am in a bit of a rush, but here are some quick numbers.

Example pump: Elite 799
1.5 WATTS * 24 hours * rate (say $0.11/KWH) = about 4 cents a day.

I used this in a 15X24 inch container with about 4inches of water.

24 inch Sun blaster light: (24hours a day for the first 2 weeks.)
24 WATTS * 24 hours * rate (say $0.11/KWH) = about 63 cents a day.

o

Um I dont know who did my math this morning, but It should have been:
1.5 WATTS * 24 hours / 1000 * rate (say $0.11/KWH) = about 0.4 cents a day.
24 WATTS * 24 hours / 1000 * rate (say $0.11/KWH) = about 6.3 cents a day

o

Thanks postma. I have exceptional sunlight here at 7400' in SW Colorado so I hope artificial light won't be necessary. I am set up on a rate watchers plan with the local electric company. 14 cents on peak, 3 1/2 cents off peak.

Mark

o

Mark,
I don't know much about electricity costs, but I can help you out everywhere else. Depending on the variety of lettuce, you need at least 8-12" square inches per plant. In a hydroponic setup, especially in a raft system, 24/7 aeration is key. The more oxygen you provide to the water, the better your plants will grow. It keeps the nutrient rich water from going stagnant and the beneficial bacteria happy and growing. In addition, the plants roots need oxygen to grow and stay healthy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here