Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robogeek

Adjusting Ph organically - the DIY way

RoboGeek
12 years ago

Obviously you can buy things to do this, but I just wanted to see what you guys use that might be a bit more organic in nature.

I personally use white vinegar and baking soda. My setup is usually slightly alkaline and I usually don't need to add very much vinegar.

Some will ask if it alters the taste, but since I mainly grow peppers and tomatoes, I cant detect and flavor changes. Also no taste changes in the basil or mustard

Comments (20)

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

For a minute I thought this was going to turn in to a urine thread :-)

• HydroPete
    12 years ago

What nutrients do you use? I've had problems using vinegar and baking soda, they correct it intially but then the pH goes out of wack again the next day.

• RoboGeek
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm using GH Flora Nova series usually, but more and more custom mixed stuff. Haven't had any issues with changes from anything other than nutrient absorption - that changes my pH and my ec rather rapidly. I have a bad setup for the size of plants I have so I have fresh nutrients on my tomatoes and peppers in the ebb/flow daily.. the dwc systems stay pretty stable with the pH and ec levels

• willardb3
    12 years ago

The primary complaint with vinegar/baking soda is that the ph spikes and returns in short order.

Ph up and down contain buffers to prevent this.

• RoboGeek
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've found if you didn't have a problem it stays pretty stable. But if your trying to correct a problem there are lots of residual nutrients in the roots that change the pH again pretty fast. A couple points is nothing - I had a neglected pot I finally checked today that was sitting at 9.2. I fixed it and checked it a few hrs ago and its still right where I had it. I'll check in the morn. Dunno why but I thought I had it in water, flushing the system for a few days.. but oops... that wasn't water! Probably 2 week old nutrient solution!

• artwk
    12 years ago

I've tried vinegar before, and I have found it tends to break down quickly in a recirculating system, causing the ph to go right back up. I have used citric acid before with slightly better success.

What I don't understand is why you would need a ph up and ph down? My tap water is usually the best ph up. I've also heard it is bad to mix the two.

• homehydro
    12 years ago

For one, the pH of anyone's water supply can/will fluctuate. Two, what would you do if you accidentally over adjusted?

Sure once you know your water supply, and the normal pH levels once you mix your nutrients in it, as well as how the adjusters you use affect it, you will be real good at guessing the exact amounts needed to adjust it. But you wont be perfect every time. Then what do you do? Wait a week or so to have it delivered because you didn't have any on hand?

• RoboGeek
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I test my water cf and ph before I add any nutrients, then again after. Guessing isn't really a good choice

• homehydro
    12 years ago

When I said "once you mix your nutrients in it, as well as how the adjusters you use affect it, you will be real good at guessing the exact amounts needed to adjust it". I was referring to the amount of ph adjusters you'll need to bring the volume of nutrient solution to the desired level in the first try, and without adjusting it to far in either direction (and needing to re-correct it after retesting it). Thus the point of needing to have both pH up and pH down on hand, rather than just only getting one because you didn't feel you will ever need the other.

I used to test pH both before and after mixing the nutrients, but after doing that for a while I found that testing before wasn't really necessary for me. Even though the pH of the water supply does fluctuate. Once I add the nutrients to it, I barley need to adjust it. Then once I do, it remains stable for at least a week or two unless I need to add much water to replace the water the plants drink. If I need to add 25% or more water to replace it, I'll generally re-check the pH then. But after checking the pH every day, I got almost perfect at guessing if the pH was in range before I even tested it. So now I really only test it for the first couple of days (fresh nuts). Then only if I suspect a problem after that (and/or if the nutrient solution is about 2 weeks old).

• RoboGeek
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I buy my water in gallon jugs because my tap water is nearly toxic even for humans (it smells like wet dog). The cf varies from the 40's to the 300's in the store bought so I like to know where I'm starting from before I add anything

• georgeiii
    12 years ago

The problem is the vinger and soda creates co2 in the root zone which stifles the roots. And please their nothing wrong with using urine as a fertilizer. Just take vitianims, wait a week and start using. If you look at the back of a box of MG you'll find the same things listed

• homehydro
    12 years ago

Just so people know, I was only being sarcastic, and that was just to prove a point.

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

I can see your point homehydro. Untill one actually has true experience in hydroponics and can see the production, following practices that would not be excepted in the commerical hydroponic industry as a "good idea" so to speak might seem ok to them.

To keep it simple using a basic 3-part hydroponic fertilizer and a ph up and down, and a good cleaner. No need to add any strange things.

On the ph thing.

Well, like homehydro stated "The issue is their not stable pH adjusters."

I am sure there are many organic ph up/downs that you can get either at a hydro store or online.

For the record I use a hydro organic fertilizer called Botanicare pure blend pro grow for my soilless container garden so I am for organic.

• homehydro
    12 years ago

TheMasterGardener1
    Ya, I would always suggest for any new hydroponic grower to start using what is tested tried and true to work first. But beyond that I have herd the same type of "using urine as a fertilizer' claims from a lot of people (not just georgeiii). But I was also trying to make the point that without being given context, the statement's are vague. Thus leading to your observation of using a tried and true nutrient solution first, until you've got a feel for what your doing.

Theirs a lot more going on for the root systems (chemically) in hydroponic systems (organic or not), than just adding anything that seems to work in soil. Without context it means nothing. I was just trying to get people to think about the context part of the statement. That's why I went to the extreme with my statement. It's also why I clarified later. so anyone not knowing/seeing my point wont think I was serious and hopefully wonder why/what I really meant.

Also Ya, there are many organic pH adjusters sold by many hydro manufactures. For pH down using citrus acid works. In fact that's the stuff I use. I'm not sure what is in the pH up, but both are organic, and are made by Earth Juice (who makes lots of trusted organic products for hydroponics). Now with that said I don't know if there's a difference in pH product from what you put in the hydroponic systems, and what you put in your food. But I see so many times people try and use under the counter products for adjusting pH for various reasons (cheaper/ just in a bind etc.). They just never save a penny in the long run. And I am all about building your own systems, etc. but ph adjusters just aren't something to try and save a few cents on to me.

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

For pH down using citrus acid works

Hey thanks thats a good idea.

• justagrowr
    10 years ago

sulfuric acid -add by drops -untill u get the hang of it -wait times -measure PH- ---if to low use baking soda--same -pinch at a time and wait (dont forget to mix thoroughly)
    all organic -everything in NATURE

• tgiersberg
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well. I'm new to this. I would like to say however, GH Flora Nova line is awesome. I agree it is more expensive than some products that are out there but I found really good prices online, if u do that. Here are some hopps I started about 10 weeks ago.

• iloveclocks1
    8 years ago

I have a static system. About 30 buckets and or totes with no pumps or re-circulating system. My question is: Do I need to change the solution regularly or just add more nutrients (Botanicare 3-2-4) and adjusting PH?

Thanks for helping this newbie.

• chuckwagon009
    8 years ago

Static systems rely on the nutrients to be sufficient for the plants entire life cycle. I've had success at topping off here and there but you need to make sure that you do not overfill the top off and drown the suspended air roots.

Botanicare products are generally not a great nutrient for static systems as the nutrients tend to separate and settle in the res. I've used both preblend pro and cns17 and with a 30 day crop such as lettuce it will work but any longer and the nutrient needs stirred very well or changed out.

Using general hydroponics nutrients maxi series and floranova series my res looks almost the same as the day i mixed it at the end of my 30 day lettuce cycle.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County