Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grizzman_gw

Help w/ 'Sustainable Gardening'

grizzman
12 years ago

In case the name didn't make you realize it, I created this thread in an attempt to make better sense of Georgeiii's growing system.

Please refrain from belittling or contesting/contradicting his system IN THIS THREAD. I have simply created it in an attempt to get answers to questions I have and clarifications of what he has presented.

With that being said. . .

Georgeiii the inserts you've mentioned appear to be one quart soup containers (like you'd get with chinese takeout) where you've made slits in the sides and filled with media. Is the generally correct?

Do you currently favor the perlite / styrofoam media you've mentioned previously?

Your "hydropail" appears to be a large bucket with one of the above mentioned inserts stuck in the middle of the lid?

How much water do you put into the lower bucket? (i.e. how far below the bottom of the insert is the water)

Thanks for your time.

BTW, I have actually taken some time to look through the myriad of pictures on your photobucket account. Thanks for posting them.

Comments (23)

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

Why not 3/4" gravel? That is natural and can be reused.

• homehydro
    12 years ago

Gravel works for hydroponics in many sizes, from sand all the way up. But still does have its drawbacks. Depending on your system, gravel of any size, even sand dosen't hold much moisture and drains very quickly. Thus needs to be kept watered a lot more often.

• grizzman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gravel and sand are generally too heavy for media. Lava rocks are a better alternative if you're not a hydroton kinda person.
    Georgeiii
    What do you call this system?

Is that a nanny pod?
    Thanks.

• georgeiii
    12 years ago

This is a Nanny Pod. (Yes it's a take out cup. not of the Nanny Pod that's hydroponic) An improvement on the Garden Pod. It's a soil based mix. one part MG potting soil, one part manure, one part peat, two parts from last year's used mix. I add book matches and egg shell.
    Now as a side bar I use Perlite because of it's properties of attracting and holding fluids. That why I can put fertilizer right on the roots of the plants with out harming them.

• homehydro
    12 years ago

Grizz,
    I agree that lava rock is much lighter, and even holds moisture much better than gravel. But dismissing gravel and/or sand as a growing media just limits your options. I have used both, and they both have their place, as well as have no better substitute for those purposes. As the saying goes "it's not the **** of it, it's how you use it."

• grizzman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There are lots of options out there, so I believe I can live without the heavy stuff.
    But, then again, media isn't really what this thread is about nor was I asking about what anybody but georgeiii preferred.
    Can we please keep the thread on topic?
    Thanks.

• homehydro
    12 years ago

Well grizz, first I don't see how anything is off topic, and second, if a new thread needs to be started for every statement, thought, or question, in the name of STAYING ON TOPIC, this forum will be cluttered with thousands of threads with only one reply or less. Third, I wasn't aware you didn't want anyone other than georgeiii to respond in this thread. Perhaps you could have mentioned that little detail in your opening statement as well.

So I guess I wont bore you or anyone else that might be interested in using other growing mediums than the standard stuff they sell at the hydroponics supply stores. As well as good ways to use it in combination with other growing mediums to get the desired affect. After all, that kind of information has no place in a hydroponics forum right?

• grizzman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Types of medium has a place in hydro, just not in this thread.
    It has been discussed to death many times. If you care to discuss it further, bump an old post.
    Is there a reason you're trying to start an argument? I Plainly stated in Bold text:

"I have simply created it(this thread) in an attempt to get answers to questions I have and clarifications of what he(georgeiii) has presented."

If you have no light to shed on the subject then no response is necessary.

• georgeiii
    12 years ago

{{gwi:241903}}
    Here's a plant I need help with. Anybody know the name?
    There's more pictures but it can get confusing if I put too many.
    As I ststed the reason I use Perlite is properties other mediums don't.

• grizzman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That plant looks like a ligustrum/privett.

What does the bottom bottle of your nanny pod do? Does it hold water or is it there to provide stability?
    Does the nylon in the inserts keep the roots from growing out of the inserts?
    What is the point of the two caps in the waterfall pod? do you leave the screw in them or is the screw just for alignment and to hold it together?
    Thanks.

• homehydro
    12 years ago

Grizz,
    First, I still don't read anything in that statement where it says, or even implies that you don't want anyone else to respond to the thread other than georgeiii. Second, if you look back I wasn't the one that brought up using gravel and sand as a growing media. I also limited my reply to only that part just to avoid any so called argument/belittling or contesting/contradicting (just as you wished). Third Again, if you look back I kept my reply's short and to the point (simply trying not to create long posts in your thread).

If anyone is trying to start an argument, it's not me. I have done just about everything I can to avoid that very thing here.

• grizzman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First: you're right.
    Second: you're partially right. Your initial response(about medium) wasn't the issue. I replied to it and MG and asked that we stay on topic. Remember, the thread was not about medium. I simply asked georgeiii the verify his preferred medium. it was the next one that was argumentative. That one about a thread for every question. Maybe you should re-read it.

Please, Home Hydro, do me a courtesy and stay off this thread if you're only interested in arguing (which is what we're doing at this point). You have made it abundantly clear you dislike georgeii. Why come here and disrupt my attempt at learning more about what he is trying to do.
    If you'd like to discuss this further, please contact me privately.
    Thanks.

• homehydro
    12 years ago

Grizz
    I have reread it many times, and I still don't believe I was being argumentative. I was trying to keep things short, yet make some valid points. But if you don't understand the points I was making, then perhaps you may see it some other way. When I get some time in the next day or so, I'll try and e-mail you to explain my points, and where I'm coming from for you.

• georgeiii
    12 years ago

{{gwi:54547}}

If your growing corn it's an extra water supply.

{{gwi:39281}}

This is a Garden Pod and root structure.

{{gwi:53811}}

This is how an Amerily grows for years in a Nanny Pod. The bulb you showed eariler

• georgeiii
    12 years ago

I just transferred a 7' Lemon Tree. It was growing for the last three years in a 3.7 gallon bucket. Straight byucket without anything fancy. Took two hoursto make the insert and two hours to clean the roots. Saying it was root bound just doesn't quite express it.

• homehydro
    12 years ago

georgeiii
    Really?? you want to pass off a plant that is clearly grown to maturity in soil, as a hydroponic plant?? Simply because you wash off the soil from the roots and stick it in a hydroponic system??? Really, is that what your belief of hydroponics is??? Taking a full grown plant and sticking it in a water culture system, then calling it a plant grown truly in a hydroponic system??? That is what hydroponics is to you? It's not a surprise, I've seen your pictures posted on photobucket, and they all (90%+) just show plants grown in soil. so it's no wonder you don't know (or want to know) the difference.

• homehydro
    12 years ago

Sorry giizz,
    I didn't realize this was your thread before I posted my thoughts. It wasn't until after I was re-reading them that I noticed the thread title. Anyhow disregard my post (I cant delete it).

• Bhiir
    11 years ago

Hi Georgeiii. I stumbled upon your method of growing. I'm not knowledgeable in hydroponics, but your way seems simpler and cheaper.

I'm trying to understand the nanny pod. For this there is no insert, and you use part of a sock that's knotted and in the spout of the 2-liter bottle? For this pod, do you use an air stone or other aeration? If I'm reading right, you put 3 air holes on the 2-liter bottle?

Please keep posting. I've enjoyed all that you've shared.

• georgeiii
    11 years ago

Yes, there's no insert in the Nanny Pods. Their three litter bottles with three holes along the lower rim of the bottle. I use terry towels strips for wicks or, or just a wad in the neck of the bottle. There's no air stone and it uses evapoation to move the water. Sun light moving across the surface of the plastic causes the motion

• grizzman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Why put the three holes in the bottom of the bottom?
    By bottom, do you mean near the cap end? (as this is the bottom once the bottle is inverted)

• georgeiii
    11 years ago

I called the three holes carberators.

They help to keep the moisture rising between the plastic and the plug. Yes by the cap end. Now realize the Nanny Pod is good for growing such things as corn, Basils, lettace and such but not so good with tomato's. Not the bottom juice bottle but the three litter bottle on top.

• grizzman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Georgeiii,
    Can you please explain to me the difference between SWC and the hydrobuckets?

• georgeiii
    11 years ago

These are SWC's. Two buckets, one on top of the other. The top bucket is filled with media. The bottom stores water. There's a hole in the side of the lower bucket right below the upper bucket to stop the media staying wet to long. The insert is inverted on the bottom of the top SWC filled with media to soak up the water from below. A Hydro-Bucket is just one bucket filled with plain water. There's an insert placed in the lid where the plant goes.

This is a Hydro-Bucket

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional