Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chemical Control In Hydroponics?

Posted by frednumber3 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 15:01

Just started a small static system for tomatoes. Here in Florida we have a real nematode soil problem and TLCV (white flies) This is why I went to Hydro. Question: Can I use Deconil and Ortho Max in Hydroponics? Control here is a must.
Thank You, Fred

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chemical Control In Hydroponics?

Although I do not really no the components of those pesticides, it is generally not a good idea to apply them in hydroponics.
Just keep in mind, if its on the plants, its likely to wash off into your nutrient. If its in your nutrient, it'll most likely end up in the plant. and it if ends up in the plant, it'll most likely end up in your stomach.I can't speak for others, but I most likely don't want to consume pesticides.

o
Thank You

Thank You Sir, Fred

o

I use "Rose Care" on my hydroponic roses. I have little other choice. But then . . . I don't eat the roses.
You wont have trouble with the nematodes. Don't know about the white flies. Isn't there maybe a common (safe) household substance that may work (eg: soap solutions)?

o

On the topic of pesticides:

A friend of mine in Florida sent me this link:
http://www.1stenvirosafetyinc.com/index.html

I read the page and looked at all the pictures and testimonials and I think I'll try a gallon of the stuff. I'll post my findings both here on the 4m as well as on my Web page (URL in profile).

If anyone (Frednumber3?) lives in Florida, maybe you could get some and try it. I live in California and have to ship the stuff here; you could just drive over and get some maybe. Just a thought.

o

Nematodes are not a problem in hydroponics since you have no soil to worry about. White flies can be controlled efficiently using a biological alternative such as the fungus Paecilomyces fumosoroseus which does a great job at keeping their populations extremely low. Always go for biological control !

Here is a link that might be useful: Everything Hydroponics

o
Thank You

Thanks Everyone, Very Much Appreciated. Fred

o

Hi danielfp,
? Do you know how to breed the white fly control fungus you mentioned & be willing to share the technique ?
White fly is a serious pest (in some regions there are seasonal bans on sowing
vegetables plagued by the white fly).

o

Well, I get mine from the biology department at my university but there are several fungi species that parasite and kill white flies. The most widely available commercially is Verticillium Lecanii which you can buy here for example (http://www.excelind.co.in/Verticel.htm). Fungi are the best way to control aphids, white fly and many other soft bodied insects !

Here is a link that might be useful: Everything Hydroponics

o

Here's a white fly trick:

Spray the plant with a diluted mixture of Tide laundry detergent. It dries on the little buggers and they get stuck and die! I tried it on Hibiscus and it works like a champ.

Of course, it leaves a dandy mess, but it's better than losing the plant and having to clean up that mess too!

o

Sounds like a plan !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here