Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kilimats

My early setup - Need advises on how to improve

kilimats
16 years ago

Hi everyone, this forum is a great place to learn, the only place i found actually that has an active community :-)

i wanted to share my setup in order to receive critics from you, so that i can improve the way it is working

current i am running the pump (250g/h) 5 times a day for 10 min, the max level in the growing tray is reached in 2 min, so for 8 min the water circulate avoiding salt build up and better nutrient circulation/balance. the flood only occurs during light cycle, not in the dark

i am growing lettuce / stranberries (migrated from soil) / tomatoes and misc herbs in my second coming tray

The light is ON for 18hours per day for vegetation with two 6500k/2850 lumens/42watt CFL and (coming up) 12 hours a day with two 2700k/2850 lumens/42 watt CFL for flowering period

I keep the CFL betweek 3 to 5 inch from the plant, will this be enough to grow my tomato plant, if not, will adding more CFL helps ? (i prefer to keep the cost down, going hight pressure lights is not an option for me)

A concern i had was that the drain couldn't be done completely because the hose plug was higher than the bottom of the grow tray, i am still looking for a way to drain properly, please share your ideas :-)

let me know how you would improve this setup, thanks a lot !!

{{gwi:999332}}

{{gwi:999333}}

{{gwi:999334}}

{{gwi:999335}}

{{gwi:999336}}

{{gwi:998254}}

{{gwi:999337}}

{{gwi:999338}}

{{gwi:999340}}

Comments (11)

• grizzman
    16 years ago

I few things you might consider:
    adding some kind of reflector to those bulbs. I'd wager you're losing more light to the surroundings than your plant is getting.
    covering your tubs with black (whether paint or a plastic bag) this will keep down algae growth. algae doesn't really harm your plants, but it does compete for nutrients and, if it got thick enough, could clog your pumps and lines.

I don't think those bulbs will put off enough light for plants much over 6"-8" tall, including tomatoes and, eventually, your strawberries. the tops will get plenty of light, but the bottoms will suffer. I know you don't want to go with a MH system, but your results will be better. a 250W MH will produce a stronger light than 5 or 6 CFL's, which is more along the lines of what I think you'll end up with.

Don't sweat the extra solution in the bottom. It shouldn't hurt anything. Also, salt buildup shouldn't be a problem as you only have a limited amount of media for it to build up on. if the root systems grow out of your net pots (and I'm sure they will with a tomato plant) you'll probably need to increase the number of flood cycles to give them adequate moisture (the roots that is) Ebb n Flo systems are not really meant to be used in conjunction with net pots. In and Ebb n Flo system, the flooded tray is meant to be filled with media that the plants roots can grow into.

• kilimats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks grizzman, i appriciate your time responding

i will consider reflecting that and building a home-made reflector following this shape /-------\

What do you means by tubs (i'm from france ^^), you meant the tubes ? if so i thought that it was not necessary since the solution is staying inside only during flood which is very brief with the flow, what do you think ?

Unfortunately, getting a ballast + MH is not an option, too pricy and hot, i was thinking of having more CFL, some above the plant and some on the side as long as the plant isn't touching, any good ?

will the extra solution at the bottom of the grow reat harm the root when they will seat in ?

i use net tray because i've seen many hydroponic devices using it and because it seems easier to remove the plant when they die because the root are not every where, what problem do you see by having net tray ? using media only would mean that the whole grow tray is filled with Expanded Clay Pebbles ?

also, i am using 100% make up cotton to start the seeds in the tray, when flood the cotton is filled slowly with the solution, is this a good idea or should i start somewhere else with water only ? i like this way because it is a no brainer, just put the seed in and let the pump and artificial light do the job ^^

• plantboy_grower
    16 years ago

"
    you'll probably need to increase the number of flood cycles to give them adequate moisture (the roots that is) Ebb n Flo systems are not really meant to be used in conjunction with net pots. In and Ebb n Flo system, the flooded tray is meant to be filled with media that the plants roots can grow into.
    "

Thanks grizzman - this is consistent with what you were trying to get through my thick skull on the other post. :) The roots are ok in the pot, but as the plant gets bigger in an ebbNflow it is better to have medium around them since they are not being bathed in an aeroponic mist or anything perpetually, so more media around the roots means more moisture to feed the plants, as long as there is adequate air also, which there always is with clay pebbles.

• kilimats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So i guess i was wrong about the net pot, not sure where i saw that guys using it with his ebb and flow setup, maybe Youtube. Anyway, i think i'll keep the net and add the media all around

One problem i will have with clay pebbles is them floating on the water and pushing the tray cover out when flooding

what media does not float and keep moisture very well ?

• evandostert
    16 years ago

You can use those lights, for awhile. They can be greatly improved with a reflector. I got some at lowes. They are metal meant to hold heat lamps. Rated for 400 watts and only cost 9$ Two of those properly focusing your light would get you through your whole grow cycle. Get that mess of wires out from under the bucket. You gotta look at the wiring of that mess. That looks like a fire hazard.

• kilimats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

just browsed lowes.com, found those

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=203213-1373-FL-300PDQ12&lpage=none

will this cover the whole CFL? it would be better if the bottom of the CFL don't stick out to maximize the light reflected

what do you guys recommend for my setup ?

• grizzman
    16 years ago

I think when you see ebb n flo systems utilizing net pots its mostly to demonstrate the various components of a hydroponic system. Though there could be some merit in being able to see your roots, I don't look at roots too much. If the top of the plant is growing well, then the bottoms are generally okay too.
    two other notes:
    * on plants with small root systems, all the roots may stay contained within a net pot.
    * net pots come in many different sizes. I just always use 2" ones.
    I always use river gravel (bought from the lowecal hardware store) its relatively heavy, it doesn't compress, and I haven't had any problems with Ph fluctuations (like you'd expect from granite gravel)
    you could probably also use that colorful gravel they sell for fish tanks.

{{gwi:999342}}

This is my office garden from last fall. in the black tub are some young peppers. the tomato plant fills the entire window and was grwoing in only a 2" net pot using DWC. I eventually had to cut back some of the branches so those litte peppers could get some light. the white tub at the bottom is the nutrient solution. The only source of light was a south facing window.
    Oh! they tomatoes were very tasty.

• kilimats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for all your input grizzman, does river gravel perform as good as clay pebbles ?

i heard that clay pebbles help keep the moisture, does river gravel do that as well ?

• kilimats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, here is an update, i got myself some PERLITE and modified my setup like this, let me know what do you think.

I use pot because i feel it is easier to work with once the plant grow up, it will stay in the same spot. And because during flood the perlite float, the pot allows the seed/plant to not move, does that make sense to you or you see something better to do ?

And i just got myself some more lighting

CFL 70watt circline (i can then add a flat reflective cover on the top)
    Color: 2850 K (is that ok for flowering period ? or 2700k is really necessary?)
    Lumens: 4600 each (i got 3 to cover the whole area)
    cost: 3x bulbs shipped to canada: $50, CHEAP !!! ( here is a link FYI: http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/default.php/cPath/421_503)

• kilimats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bump ?

• plantboy_grower
    16 years ago

Is that black and white poly film you are using to cover the top of the perlite and where you put slits to put the plants? If so, flip it over and use the white side. You will have to use sunglasses to look at your garden, but you'll have more light reflecting back for the plants.

If the perlite floats try put something heavy on top just to weigh it down a little, like rocks / clay balls, etc.