Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aquaculture on top of a reservoir

Posted by photopilot San Diego (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 15:45

I am designing a NFT system but found a description of the different systems and found that lettuces do well with an aquaculture system. Would it make sense to create a styrofoam block aquaculture on top of my NFT reservoir for growing lettuce? Anyone seen examples of this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aquaculture on top of a reservoir

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea and ought to help increase your growing area. I guess the only issue would be that since you are growing more plants, you might need to top off your reservoir a little more frequently and/or change your nutrients.

o

That's what this guy was doing

He used to post here but hasn't in a long time. I'm not sure he was using NFT, the picture looks more like a modified flood and drain, but you can clearly see the 'kiddie pool' he has using as a res on the right side with plants floating on it.
If you search the forum for "hotpepperclub" (maybe with spaces)you may find some of his posts. That's in the name of his website and he always posted links.

o

Now please look at what it takes to produce using Aquaculture even on a small scale. You'd have to depend on to many outside thing to keep this kind of operation going. In the 1960 maybe this system would look nice but in this day and age get real. There'swso many learning curves you have to get over even to begin. This is one of those things you can only do with excess. Yes it's a great system, yes it produces. But there's too many but's today to make it work sustainably.

o

you should check out his site goergeiii, he has indepth details on making sustainable system. In summary, he makes a filter bag out of landscape fabric fills it with dirt and suspends it in a sterlite/rubbermaid tub with water in the bottom. he adds water and nutrients through a pipe in the top.
It's a nice repeatable design that doesn't require ph or ec measurements.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here