Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time small system

Posted by Nick90 none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 16:17

Hi everyone, this is my first hydroponic system so bear with me. Basically, I want to create a small single pot system to sit on my kitchen windowsil. I'm not sure what system would be best, i was thinking drip or aeroponics, what woul be easiest and the most compact?

I have bought a small water pump and other parts, but basically what i want to know is what size of reservoir would be required, probably just try it with some herbs to start.

This post was edited by Nick90 on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 17:01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time small system

go with a simple bubbler/DWC system.
hyof-05

It's the one on the right. held about two cups of water in it and grew all the parsley I cared to eat.

o

Cheers mate, can i ask how often you had to refill the reservoir?

The reason I'm not doing bubbler/DWC systems is because i've not been able to find a small or quiet enough air pump, however i have a a tiny and silent water pump.

o

Air pumps themselves are not really "loud". It's more they vibrate what they sit on. When I want them quiet, I hang them on string with a spring at the top (maybe from a click pen) to damper the sound.
I refilled the reservoir maybe once or twice a week. It's kind of hard to remember. It was either my first or second hydro build so was several years ago.

o

Thanks "grizzman" for reply. Your uploaded image and reply are informative for us.
Thanks for sharing it.

o

Can the pump set up to create a whirlpool effect? If so, that would create enough agitation for oxygen uptake.

Great little window-sill system grizzman!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Indoor Growing Adventure

o

Thanks Halfway. It was a simple bubbler type system made from one of those disposable tupperware containers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here