Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
photopilot

Different strokes for different Plants

photopilot
12 years ago

I have read a post here a while back about someone with bad tasting lettuce. Turns out his nutrient was too rich. As I go to plan my garden using hydroponics for the first time how do I find out about the needs of different plants and then segregate them in order to put similar plants on similar systems? Having to have separate systems has thrown a wrench into my easy hydroponics plan.

I am looking to grow

Lettuces

Chards

Arugula

Kales

Herbs

Tomatoes

Peppers

How can I organize these to make the simplest but productive groupings?

Thanks

PP

Comments (10)

• homehydro
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First separate them by size (how big the plant will get when full grown. Then separate them by fruiting plants verses non fruiting plants (tomatoes are fruiting, lettuce is not). Then separate the fruiting plants into continuously fruiting and plants that only fruit/flower at the end of their life cycle.

With the plants in categories, you can place the plants with similar growing needs together, as well as design the hydroponic systems around that. I'm not familiar with growing Chards, Arugula and Kales. But as an example, large plants like tomatoes and peppers (depending on varieties) are both large plants, they are both continuously fruiting plants (they produce fruit/flowers from the beginning to the end of their life).

So placing tomato's and peppers in the same system would be much better than say tomato's and lettuce. Where lettuce is a much small plant, and only flowers at the end of it's life to produce seeds. Thus lettuce and tomatoes would be much more difficult to grow together.

Now there a lot of people that would say you should grow every plant in their own system so you can control the nutrients each plants receive much more precisely. There is a valid point to that. But when your on a budget, and/or not worried that every plant may not be perfect and get a blue ribbon. Then simpler is much much, much, more useful, as well as cheaper.

• grizzman
    12 years ago

You could also group them by same family. Per HH's example, tomatoes and peppers are both members of the nightshade family (as is Eggplant) and all can be grown with pretty much the same nutrients.
    Lettuce and Arugula would probably grow similarly with herbs. Though I haven't grown Arugula (or Kale) I know they've very similar to lettuces in consistency and probably don't need an overly strong nutrient solution.
    Kale, on the other hand, has a much darker leaf color and more open leaf structure which, to me at least, implies a greater nitrogen level and possibly iron. It may do better growing with the tomatoes. But that is pure speculation though probably the way I would go without better information.
    you stated in your post this was your first Hydro garden. In that case I would recommend limiting how much you grow the first round. It will likely make the learning curve more enjoyable. Maybe stick with just tomatoes and peppers or just lettuce and herbs, depending on your tastes/desires.

• georgeiii
    12 years ago

Check out Photobucket/ChristianWarlock. I'll show you how to grow from a system you build yourself out of recycled plastic bottles and jugs. You can use the same system to grow all your plants side by side in any order you please. You only need to use one fertilizer but that fertilizer can be organic or inorganic. Right now using Sustainable Hydroponics you can be growing all your leaf vegetables in your window. Grow plants without ph worries. Even seeds and trees. Get curious there's plenty to see

• homehydro
    12 years ago

photopilot,
    Building your own system from recycled plastic is easy to do with any design. Just take a trip up and down the street the night before trash day and the recycle bins have plenty of things you can use. Also going to any construction site and asking if you could have their scraps. Also there are usually hundreds of restaurants within a couple of miles of most peoples homes, simply ask the owner or manager if you could have the plastic buckets they would normally throw away. I got about 30-5 gallon buckets as well as a bunch of smaller ones from one restaurant in about 2 months time that way.

When georgeiii says one system to grow all your plants, he means one system for each plant. Just doing the same one over and over for each plant. His patented system is just a simple DWC system with one plant each in it. He gives them different names for different sizes, but it's still just a simple DWC system. He also says one of the great things about his patented system is you can easily swap out plants, but you can do that with any normal DWC system also. He also claims it uses less water because you don't need to change the water, but you can choose to do that with any DWC system if you wished not to change it as well.

Most of the plants in his pictures are actualy using soil as the growing media (thus not hydroponics). Some are useing Perlite and/or Styrofoam chunks as the growing media thus technically hydroponics. But he calls them all hydroponics because a small fraction of the plants use a non soil media. Also don't be fooled that the plants in his patented system design will do great using any fertilizer and not worrying about pH as he claims.

There are many university's, as well as well respected independent researchers doing study's in hydroponics. All of which tell a completely different story, and it's not just a conspiracy to sell pH adjusters for manufactures. But if I had hundreds of different small individual DWC systems like georgeiii, I wouldn't want to check and adjust the pH either. But that dosen't mean the plants will adjust it themselves as georgeiii claims, while every university and respected researcher in the field of hydroponics say differently. As for using any fertilizer you want, I would make sure it was for hydroponics (when not using soil) if you want to have healthy plants. It dosen't need to be expensive, just have all the mineral salts, as well as in the right proportions, nothing more than that.

• willardb3
    12 years ago

Actually tomatos and hot peppers are the same family and have very different nutrient requirements.

• homehydro
    12 years ago

That was my point about growing each crop in its own system to control the nutrients they receive more precisely if you were concerned with growing perfect plants. Though now that you mention it I did forget to mention to also grope them by recommended pH levels too, although most plants do quite well at around 6.0 (tomato's 5.5-6.5, peppers 6.0-6.5).

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

"Actually tomatos and hot peppers are the same family and have very different nutrient requirements."

True but they have the same Ca and Mg needs.

• georgeiii
    12 years ago

My, my homie and time any of your "experts" wish they can come on here and do so. They don't have to email me seperatly like you.
    And please don't embrass yourself knowing about my system. You haven't even got pass the theroy yet.

Let's trake it point by point
    When georgeiii says one system to grow all your plants, he means one system for each plant. Just doing the same one over and over for each plant. His patented system is just a simple DWC system with one plant each in it. He gives them different names for different sizes, but it's still just a simple DWC system. He also says one of the great things about his patented system is you can easily swap out plants, but you can do that with any normal DWC system also.
    See homie wants to run the conversation about my methods but he's not knowledgeable enough. I didn't mention Nanny Pods as any thing but a cross between soil and Hydroponics. Their are many different designs that are a cross between SWC's and Hydroponics. And those that are straight hydroponics. So he only shows what he constantly shows and that's a lack of experanice in actually growing something. Who has a DWC system that you can easily swatch plants in? Anybody? I don't.
    "He also claims it uses less water because you don't need to change the water, but you can choose to do that with any DWC system if you wished not to change it as well."

No I don't claim that. I said that using this method you use less water than other systems, after all their sealed. You don't change the water because of no ph problems. All you have to do is keep filling it. And the last part of that sentence...what are you talking about?

Homie please, please get the conversaion right. We're talking hydroponic not the SWC (Nanny Pod). I don't call anything other than what it is. Your doing that.
    Again homie bring on any experts you choose. Don't make up their minds here for them let them speak for themselves. Let everybody get in on it, that's why we're here. But your experts are awfully quiet tho. I've been demontrating this method with pictures for two years now and narry a word from your experts all that time. Heck why aren't they on here now. Because they can't disprove it. You can't disprove it. But contuine those mis information tricks with the newbies but I look at all those who are gone from here since you came on this thread. The newbies will soon follow.

• homehydro
    12 years ago

That's about as hypocritical as it gets georgeiii. All this talk about "EXPERTS" you want me to present, yet you've been posting your untrue claims for years (like you said), but YOU'VE NEVER ONCE POSTED ANYTHING FROM ANY REPUTABLE SOURCE TO BACK ANY OF IT UP. You just post proverbs from the book of georgeiii as your EXPERT. Simply nothing more than your word for it. Like I said many times to you georgeiii, DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK. THEIR YOUR BOGUS CLAIMS, IT'S UP TO YOU TO PROVE THEM.

But you simply cant find any "EXPERTS" that would agree with you, so you simply cant post anything "REPUTABLE." All you got is just proverbs from the book of georgeiii, and pictures that don't prove squat. Other than maybe you can work a digital camera and upload the pictures to the internet. Repeating the bogus claims to death wont make them magically come true.

For anyone who wishes to find actual "EXPERTS" in the field of hydroponics. There are plenty of real "REPUTABLE SOURCES" (and their not called georgeiii). All they need to do is be able to read it for themselves. Do I really need to waist my time to post the 100's of links I have to reputable sources about hydroponics every time you post your bogus claims georgeiii?

Let's trake it point by point
    No I don't claim that. I said that using this method you use less water than other systems, after all their sealed. You don't change the water because of no ph problems. All you have to do is keep filling it.

georgeiii, georgeiii, georgeiii, seriously!!! Even in your reply you state it again. You state "I said that using this method you use less water than other systems," that is exactly what I said you claimed...

And the last part of that sentence...what are you talking about?

I'm not sure why it's not self explanatory, but I'll explain it further. My statement "it uses less water because you don't need to change the water, but you can choose to do that with any DWC system if you wished not to change it as well," simply means that anyone that is using a DWC system and dosen't want to change the water in the reservoir does not have to if they don't want to. There is nobody holding a gun to their head making them change it against their will.

Who has a DWC system that you can easily swatch plants in? Anybody? I don't.

That's how a DWC system is designed (look it up), or any water culture system. It uses baskets or some container that's held above a water source, where the roots hang down into the water. Their not bolted or glued down. The baskets simply come out, thus it easy to stick another one in if they wished to swap plants. I did it all the time with my lettuce setup. I took out the baskets with the mature plants for harvest, and replaced them with baskets with new seedlings in them. Very simple concept to understand.

Homie please, please get the conversaion right. We're talking hydroponic not the SWC (Nanny Pod). I don't call anything other than what it is. Your doing that.

I never once used any of the names you want to call your different size pots (nanny pod, dip pod, joke pod etc..). Mainly because the names are irrelevant to their design. Call them anything you want, that simply wont change one thing darn thing about them.

Don't make up their minds here for them let them speak for themselves.

Anyone who wants to can speak for themselves all they want. I don't have a gun to their head stopping them. Furthermore I only urge people to find their own information from real REPUTATION SOURCES. Rather than just taking the word of some wannabe in a forum who thinks that just by repeating bogus claims over and over somehow makes them magically come true.

But your experts are awfully quiet tho. I've been demontrating this method with pictures for two years now and narry a word from your experts all that time. Heck why aren't they on here now. Because they can't disprove it. You can't disprove it. But contuine those mis information tricks with the newbies but I look at all those who are gone from here since you came on this thread.

georgeiii, I have just never seen such a hypocrite before in my life. It's simply beyond me how you can keep a straight face with all your hypocritical statements. First, why would I go out and get real "EXPERTS" to waist their time to dispute bogus claims in some forum? If anyone wants to find out the truth, all they need to do is read it from REPUTABLE SOURCES themselves. Second, THEIR YOUR BOGUS CLAIMS, you waist your time on a wild goose chase searching for something that might back up your bogus claims (their your claims, NOT MINE). You want to say I don't get "EXPERTS" (to waist their time in a forum) because they won't be able to disprove it. They wouldn't even need to, YOU HAVEN'T PROVED ONE DAM THING YET for them to disprove!!! Yes you've been here for two years now. So WHY HAVEN'T YOU BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANYTHING TO PROVE YOUR CLAIMS YET??? SIMPLY BECAUSE THERE IS NO TRUTH TO IT, and it's just nothing but mis-information!!! You cant find anything to back them up, so you started writing your own book of georgeiii, and try passing that mis-information off as something reputable.

I only urge people to find out the truth themselves, before trusting the word of some mis-information they read in a forum. That's my only goal with regards to replying to anything you post. Plain and simple!!!

• homehydro
    12 years ago

In my earlier reply for the statment:

I said:

"I never once used any of the names you want to call your different size pots (nanny pod, dip pod, joke pod etc..). Mainly because the names are irrelevant to their design. Call them anything you want, that simply wont change one thing darn thing about them."

But it's also important to note that I wasn't just referring to this, or any particular thread. But all of the threads/posts in the last 2 years. Also I'm not referring to what georgeiii wants to call anything. I'm referring to his so called PROOF of all his claims that plants magically adjust their own pH in his systems (he claims his pictures somehow prove). I can post pictures of any plants I want, then make claims of anything I want as well. So I guess that would make them true? Only for those that believe all the claims in infomercials. His only PROOF is his pictures. If you take a close look at them, you'll be able to see most of all those plants are not in anything but pots (even if made from recycled materials). Yet he posts them as PROOF of hydroponically grown plants.