Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My progress thus far

Posted by ottawapepper 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 17:11

Hi folks,

A while back I posted a few shots of my first hydro attempt using bubble buckets. Thought Id post a few current shots. Thanks to all of you here for my success thus far.

A cherry tomato this sucker is going to get big. Any advice on cutting it back?

This bucket has a combination of lettuce, spinach and cilantro. Ive already harvested and restarted new lettuce and spinach crops.

Here are three Bhut Jolokia HOT peppers. Theyre slow growers but seem to be doing well in the bucket.

Cheers,

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My progress thus far

Way to grow Bill! What's the white media?

o

nice lookin' system you've got there.
you'll want to prune all the suckers off as it grows. as it gets taller, you can cut off lower leaves and begin to lay the lower stem over to keep the height down. just like they do in commercial tomato hydro farms.

o

Charlielittle, thanks for the positive feedback! The white media is perlite. I have found that it works well for smaller crops. The tomato is not being supported very well in it though. I'd transfer the tomato to clay pellets but the roots are way too big now!

Gizman, thanks you too! I've been trying to get the suckers as they appear. I'm thinking I'm going to trim the lower leaves/branches as you suggest.

Lesson learned, grow determinant tomato species... not hyper indeterminate ones!!! LOL

Thanks again,

Bill

o

Wow, looks great. What kind of nutrients are you using?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here